Smoky Easter Sushi?

soupyjones

My family did not do the big traditional turkey or ham dinner this year. Instead we spent the day hanging out and making sushi. Living in a small town in a landlocked area means that getting my hands on sushi grade fresh fish is mighty difficult. Enter pellets!

Friday night I got started by brining some walleye in a green tea brine for an hour then smoking it with some maple pellets and green tea leaves. Oh yeah I also cleaned my Traeger up that after noon.
Ohhh shiney!
001-7_zps9879657a.jpg

002-5_zpscbcea63a.jpg

And the fish.
004-7_zps9e32a23f.jpg

Saturday I thought we were having the family over to our place but we wound up going to my moms instead. They have my old gasser so I took some pellets with me.
006-7_zpsa8bbbc33.jpg

While the old rig was warming up I toasted my nori.
008-5_zpsba7acfd3.jpg

Once I had it toasted I added my smoke pouch and cranked the heat. Once it was good and hot I put on some skewers of shrimp and some scallops along with my smoked walleye and a couple pieces of chicken.
009-6_zpsd97ffeed.jpg

010-5_zps3522d6a6.jpg

I cooked it all fairly fast and dirty so it didn't catch as much smoke as I was hoping for. But here it is off the grill.
011-4_zps41a81cb0.jpg

I had great intentions of getting some pics as we rolled our sushi up but it did not happen. Turns out it is a messy job making this stuff. Here is what we wound up with.
013-3_zpsb5dbac52.jpg

015-4_zpsd65b1fdf.jpg

It was a fun way to spend time with the family. And it did not hurt that everything turned out so well. Thanks for looking guys.

Top Bottom