Bacon making with a unique flavor

MossyMO

Applied the dry cure to the pork belly and then added a generous amount of Tatonka Dust seasoning to get the flavor deep through out the meat during the 9 day cure in the fridge.

Here is a pic of the pork belly unwrapped after it rest in the fridge and in the sink just before rinsing and soaking.

-----

This is the pork bellies after a few fry tests and rinsing and soaking for 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get the salt taste down.

-----

Pork bellies getting a light shake of the Tatonka Dust to freshen the flavor. Then the pork bellies went back into the fridge unwrapped overnight to form a nice pellicle on them.

-----

In the smoker getting 14 hours of apple smoke from the tube smoker and the smoker cold smoking at 100º.

-----

Close up in the smoker.

-----

Pork bellies just out of the smoker, they have a good color to them!

-----

Pork belly going through the meat slicer and making bacon...

-----

A pan of bacon from the 2 pork bellies.

-----

and the cooked up money shot... Mmmm bacon... this experiment was an absolute hit, the taste is so unique and perfect for bacon; we will being doing this again!

Thanks for looking!

dnew

That really looks tasty, to bad this is not a 'smell-a-pic' web site. Once I retire in Aug and have the time, I plan on doing some curing. Thanks for sharing.

slow q

MossyMo, Just a quick question, How much did the Pork Belly cost? I have been curious, and I need to find a place that sells them. Been wanting to make belly bacon for quite awhile,

TentHunter

Marty, that bacon sure looks mighty fine. No fair teasing us with a money shot like that!

P.S. Did you & Tanya try smoking Bacon in the Yoder yet?

MossyMO

MossyMo, Just a quick question, How much did the Pork Belly cost? I have been curious, and I need to find a place that sells them. Been wanting to make belly bacon for quite awhile,

These pork bellies were $2.09 a pound, think I found a place a week ago where we can get them by the case for $1.79 though... if you can find it under $2.25 these days your doing pretty good!

Just about any reputable meat man in a market or grocery should be able to order it in for you if that can't cut it. Just might take talking to a few till you find the right one. For us pork belly and tri-tip are hard to find, it just took a little asking around to get some good sources.

Marty, that bacon sure looks mighty fine. No fair teasing us with a money shot like that!

No we haven't, and probably never will; our sausage smoker holds a nice consistent 100º where the YS640 only goes down to 150º. 150º for 14 hours of smoke on pork belly might give me reverse sliced pork jerky!

TentHunter

These pork bellies were $2.09 a pound... if you can find it under $2.25 these days your doing pretty good!

WOW! That is an excellent price! You are right on! I just did another 24 lbs. of belly bacon and the lowest I could find bellies around here was $2.79/lb.

MossyMo said:

No we haven't, and probably never will; our sausage smoker holds a nice consistent 100º where the YS640 only goes down to 150º. 150º for 14 hours of smoke on pork belly might give me reverse sliced pork jerky!

Yeah, smoking that long at that temp might render too much fat & moisture.

In the MAK, I cold-smoke first (6 - 7 hours) then turn it on to smoke mode (170°) and hot-smoke to an I.T. of 145° - 150° (usually another 6 - 7 hours). It actually works really well with a nice deep smoke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom