Cook this: Tandoori Chicken!

TentHunter

My whole family loves Indian cuisine. There's a classic Indian dish both of my kids really love and I can't recall ever seeing anyone post it here.

Tandori Chicken

Since a traditional Tandoor oven uses charcoal and high heat to impart a slight smoky flavor, a pellet-fired grill should work really well.

So, who wants to give it a try? C'mon... don't be Tandoori Chicken! ;)

RickB

I made tandorri chicken a few years back and as I remember trying to find all the spices is near impossible. Not promising anything but let me check my local markets. A lot more spices are available these days.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

I made this a while back... You can make some really nice tandoori chicken on the MAK. Here is the recipe:

Tandoori chicken

4 cloves
1 bay leaf
7 cardamom pods
2 tablespoons each cumin and coriander seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorns
half a stick cinnamon
1-2 garlic gloves
fresh ginger
1-2 deseeded hot green or red chilies per chicken.
Lemon and lime
Plain yogurt
Whole chicken
Red food color

More or less you add all of the spices to the yogurt (a spice grinder works well here), let the chicken soak in the yogurt for a few hours, not too long as it will turn the chicken to mush. I cooked mine at 275 for about an hour then kicked up to 400 to get a bit of a char on the outside. Here are some pics

View attachment 2048
View attachment 2049
View attachment 2050
View attachment 2051
View attachment 2052

RickB

I made this a while back... You can make some really nice tandoori chicken on the MAK. Here is the recipe:

Tandoori chicken

4 cloves
1 bay leaf
7 cardamom pods
2 tablespoons each cumin and coriander seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorns
half a stick cinnamon
1-2 garlic gloves
fresh ginger
1-2 deseeded hot green or red chilies per chicken.
Lemon and lime
Plain yogurt
Whole chicken
Red food color

More or less you add all of the spices to the yogurt (a spice grinder works well here), let the chicken soak in the yogurt for a few hours, not too long as it will turn the chicken to mush. I cooked mine at 275 for about an hour then kicked up to 400 to get a bit of a char on the outside. Here are some pics

View attachment 2048
View attachment 2049
View attachment 2050
View attachment 2051
View attachment 2052

Yep..thats how I remember it!

TentHunter

I made tandorri chicken a few years back and as I remember trying to find all the spices is near impossible.

Great point, Rick!

For those unfamiliar with Indian cooking, some recipes might call for spices which are unfamiliar to you. Here's a couple of hints:

First, you do NOT have to go out hunting for the spices and spend a lot of money. Some are simply called by other names and you probably already have spices in your cupboard that will work just fine!

Ghee - is clarified butter.

Garam Masala Is a ground spice mix typically consisting of Pepper, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cumin & Cardamom. You can usually find it with the spices in your grocery store. There are hundreds of recipes on the web for it.

An easy substitute: Equal parts ground Allspice & regular store-bought Chili Powder (which contains Cumin).

Jeera or Shah Jeera - Cumin Seeds

Cardamom - Substitute with 1/2 the amount of nutmeg.

Red "Kashmiri" Chili Powder Sometimes called Degi Mirch - it's a fairly mild, bright red chili powder (rating only about 2000 scoville units). It's nowhere near as hot as Cayenne (50,000 S.U.) and is often used more for color than for heat.

Easy substitute: Mix 4 TBS Red Paprika + 1/2 tsp ground Cayenne Pepper.

Ginger Paste/Garlic Paste - Exactly what it sounds like. It's just garlic and/or ginger ground into a paste. I often just mix equal amounts of Garlic & Ginger powder and a bit of water into a paste, and it works fine.

Kasuri Methi = Fenugreek Leaves - A mildly bitter herb that tastes & smells like Maple.

Substitute: A bit of Maple Flavor or Maple syrup, or 1/2 the amount of ground Fennel seeds (which is also common to Indian Cuisine).

Red or Green Chilies - Most typically in the U.S. you'd use Serrano or Tai chilies. Red Cayenne (dried or fresh) are also used and jalapenos are fine if that's what's available.

Hope this helps!

Cliff

Last edited:

TentHunter

I made this a while back... You can make some really nice tandoori chicken on the MAK.
2052d1351388186t-cook-tandoori-chicken-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365724892-427271-jpg

YUM!!! I don't see that listed in the gallery, so I'm glad it got posted here.

Killer job on that!

TentHunter

what kind of chilis exactly?

REd and green can be pretty vague. Thanks.
dan

Yes, that is a good point. Many Indian recipes are vaugue on stuff like that.

Typically in the U.S. Serrano or green Tai chilis are used in Indian cooking. Red Cayenne chilis (fresh and dried) are also often used. Jalapenos are fine if that's what's available.

hariandro001

My whole family loves Indian cuisine. There's a classic Indian dish both of my kids really love and I can't recall ever seeing anyone post it here.

Tandori Chicken
You told to heat in high temperature then how much time we should heat chicken normal that of tandoori or more time to get smoky flavor? specify that and adding ghee will be better in that ??. what is ur opinion on that??

Since a traditional Tandoor oven uses charcoal and high heat to impart a slight smoky flavor, a pellet-fired grill should work really well.

So, who wants to give it a try? C'mon... don't be Tandoori Chicken! ;)
How much heat we should give i mean for how much time interval and adding ghee will be better or not?? give me ur opinion on that..

Top Bottom