Deep Dish Pizza

TrickyDick

No pellets here, but y'all can do it on your pellet grill just the same!

Use a pan 9-11" paint with oil - thin coat.
Layer ingredients in this order:
Dough
Cheese - mozzarella part skim
Sausage - room temp
Veggies (peppers/onions/mushrooms)
Pepperoni (layer in an overlapping shingle fashion)
Sauce - room temp.
parmesan cheese
fold dough back over into a rim and paint with olive oil
Bake in oven 400-425 +

Few pics coming from my phone - can't get them on the MacBook now. Gotta Love "photostream.

TD

TrickyDick

Nice looking pie, did you make your own dough or is it store bought? I love Chicago style Pie.

I do my own dough. I use a sourdough culture. For pizza I like bread flour which has a bit more gluten and makes it easier to handle. I've been tinkering with blending the flour with high gluten type flour and also with the Italian style 00 flour. I usually make in advance and freeze but I sometime prep the day of. Getting the sourdough ready to use takes a few days notice and I usually try to feed them every couple of weeks anyway.

If anyone has any tips on how to remove the pizza from the pan, I'm all ears.
TD

TrickyDick

NICE... looking at that just made me hungry for some deep dish.

Please, feel o̶b̶l̶i̶g̶e̶d̶ free to post more details about this! ;)

Well, to avoid a long story, the sourdough cultures were obtained through another website. The author of the book "Classic Sourdough" is Ed Wood. He runs the website I believe, and offers many worldwide sourdough strains. Part of his book is intro, history and background, then process and handling of the sourdough, then recipes. Anyway, I'm just here for pizza (and will do some Brezels soon too!). So I ordered a few cultures, and followed the instructions. It takes a certain "feel" in handling the cultures. It take about a week of babysitting to get them ready. Then it takes a few days to prep them for use once they are in storage. Here in FL, that storage is the fridge, in quart mason jars. If I need dough, I take them out, give them a stir, and dump half. Then I feed them with flour and water and rest them at room temp for 1-2 days. If they've been in storage a while, they need a few rounds of feeding, or even higher "proofing" temps to get active again. The only way to know and predict their behavior is by experience. doesn't take too long.. I've been at it for less than a year and its pretty simple.
Anyway, then comes adapting the recipes. This is trickier. you basically replace some water and flour with the fairly wet sourdough mix.
The pizza dough recipe is easy: flour, water, salt, culture. mix and rest 4 hours, punch, shape, rest 4 hours, cook.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. I ordered several cultures, and by FAR my favorite for pizza is the French (ironically not the italian!)

TD

Top Bottom