Gettin ribs down on the new(ish) MAK

MAKinTexas

So this is my 2nd round of ribs on the MAK. Did 2 racks - 4 ways as a test. One rack got foil the other did not. Then on each rack, sauced half for final 50 minutes or so and left half dry. Used John Henry's pecan rub - let sweat. Put on the MAK at 250 for 3 hours. At 3 hours, foiled one rack and poured in a little Cheerwine and sealed. Flipped the other rack and sprayed with apple juice. After another hour removed from foil, flipped again (both) and sauced half of each rack with a combo of Bib Bob Gibsons red sauce, chipotle Tabasco, honey, and some Cheerwine (the combo had been simmering for about 15 minutes or so). The foiled rack was ready in 50 minutes, the non-foiled came off about 45 minutes after that. All were excellent, but the foiled and sauced came out the best.

View attachment 2126 View attachment 2124 View attachment 2121 View attachment 2122 View attachment 2123

Thanks to my friend Ken Jackson who gave me the approach (temps, times, and sauces).

Something learned on this one too. I have typically liked dry ribs better than one's I added sauce to. Per Ken, did two things that I didn't know to do before. 1. Heated the sauce before applying 2. Put it on early enough to cook it in (I used to apply cool sauce for the last 10 minutes or so of cook). Made a world of difference.

The good news - these were some of the best ribs I've ever had. The bad news - a couple of guests devoured them - so I didn't get that much.

So Cal Smoker

LOL, never cook just two racks unless you're by yourself. What a great start to some wonderful smoking days ahead. Good luck and good smoking.

TentHunter

MAKinTexas said:
At 3 hours, foiled one rack and poured in a little Cheerwine and sealed.

Oooh... now that has my attention! I love Cheerwine and haven't had it in years. I used to get it when I lived in NC (where Cheerwine was invented).

I am going to have to buy some, even if I have to drive or pay to have shipped, and give this a try with some ribs.

Great post!

MAKinTexas

Oooh... now that has my attention! I love Cheerwine and haven't had it in years. I used to get it when I lived in NC (where Cheerwine was invented).

I am going to have to buy some, even if I have to drive or pay to have shipped, and give this a try with some ribs.

Great post!

Yeah - I moved to Texas from NC for my wife. That's why I had to learn how to cook - I can't find good pulled pork or ribs around here (now brisket on the other hand ...). It was my buddy in NC that taught me how to cook on the smoker. He gave me the Cheerwine secret. It worked.

gadabout

OK, OK, just what is Cheerwine and how do you make it. I'm just an ignorant half Hillbilly that would like to learn new things.

Top Bottom