Saturday Wings

cowdog

It is a gorgeous day out today and I am in the mood for some hot wings. I have never grilled wings and figured it is about time. I am using Matt Dalton's technique of starting them off on the upper rack of the MAK at 250 for a couple of hours, then I will raise the temp to 350 and move them to the bottom rack.

Here are the 4 pounds of organic wings:

After rinsing and patting dry I applied garlic grape seed oil and dusted them with Money. In the background you see the wing sauces I will apply:

They are on the MAK now.

cowdog

Here they are off the grill and ready for sauce:

Here are the garlic hot sauce plated with some tots:

Wings were very good. The money with the sauce was very good.

dnew

Winner for sure, does the garlic grape seed oil add a hint of garlic to the wings or does it help make the skin crisper?

cowdog

Thanks for looking. dnew, it adds a hint of garlic flavor. It is heavy garlic when you initially apply to the meat but tones down during the cook. Friends that didn't' have the garlic hot sauce commented that they still could taste the garlic flavoring. As for a crispy skin, it didn't develop this time out. I used organic wings, which I think are smaller than typical wings. Going the 250 for almost 2 hours pretty much cooked them through and I was afraid to leave them at 350 for too long. As it was I only let them go about 15 minutes at 350 and the skin was decent, and rubbery on some pieces, but not crispy. Next time I will go with larger wings, organic or not, and try the same cooking times.

BTW, I always use MONEY rub on chicken, and it is fantastic on chicken. The Wing-Time sauces were very good. Can't see me using any other. The garlic had more heat than the mild and was just sooo darn good.

dnew

Thanks cowdawg for your detailed answer of my question. I am never sure about grape seed oil but I do like it, just not sure if the benefit in using it shows up in the results.

TentHunter

Great job with those wings! Nice and messy - just the way I like!

The wings look perfectly cooked in the pic before adding any sauce. What was your time temp, etc.?

cowdog

I ran them at 250 for 1 hour and 45 minutes, then at 350 for 20 minutes. Wings were on the smal side so they were done earlier than I thought, but they were not overdone.

Top Bottom