Ribs, with a little help from my friends...

My 12 year old Nephew wanted me to make ribs. I told him he would have to help and take pictures. ( My eyes are coming around, but it is a slow process) He said okay. With a little help posting, here is what we came up with.
We decided to cook Baby backs, stuffed mushrooms , and bacon wrapped green beans.
My Nephew Jack asked what was in a rib rub? I told him some of the basic ingredients and added that there is an almost endless variety of combinations in packaged and home made rubs. Can we make our own he asked? I didn't think I had enough to start from scratch so we emptied the spice cupboard and doctored up some of our Memphis rubs. Can we put ginger in? Sure. cinnamon, why not. Cayenne, allspice, paprika, salt, pepper, brown sugar, sage, rosemary, mustard powder and garlic powder. I wish I would have kept closer track of what went in, it turned out pretty good.
Here are the raw materials.

Ribs rubbed and ready to go on the Memphis Pro.

Ready to be foiled after about 2.5 hrs.

While the ribs were resting in a cooler, we cooked the stuffed mushrooms (chopped stems, cream cheese, blue cheese, and croutons,), and the bacon wrapped green beeans at 350 deg. for about 25 mins.

And the finished product. Jack says he needs to work on his plated photo LOL, I took that to mean that he is interested in doing it again. Hopefully he has the BBQ bug now.

It's good to be cooking again
HTS

scooter

It's great that the younger generation is getting involved in BBQ! He will learn food styling, lighting techniques and camera skills as he goes! The beginning of camera knowledge began with me when I took my point and shoot off of automatic and set it to manual mode then started playing with the settings. Let him know there are lots of Youtube videos covering both topics.
Nice job of mentoring! That plate looks great!

Last edited:

dnew

It all looks very tasty, I love green beans and now I have another way of cooking them - thanks.

TentHunter

Outstanding cook Greg!

I love hearing about the young ones taking an interest in cooking & BBQ too (not to mention photography).

Top Bottom