family reunion ribs, need advice.

bricklayer

the family, about 100 poeple, wants me to cook ribs for the reunion. never cooked for this many people. how many racks, spares, do i need? can i steam multiple racks togeather? i really need advice!!!!!! thanks in advance.

TentHunter

If there's going to be lots of other food, especially meat I'd figure about 2 ribs per person, so about 25 racks or so. If it's the only protein, then I'd add another 12 or so racks.

txpgapro

If the ribs are St. Louis cut then I'd smoke 30 racks. If using whole untrimmed spares you might get by with 24 racks. Always prepare more than you need. Leftovers are always better the second time around.

TrickyDick

For 100 people have you considered catering it? That's a lot of people to feed and please, and 30 racks of ribs seems like no joke and a lot of work. Just saying, that you might consider that, and then you can relax and enjoy the day as well. Sorry, no actual cooking advice.

TD

jimsbarbecue

I may have to agree with TrickyDick. 100 is a lot to feed without a lot of cooking space. We feed near 50 a lot of times (we love dinner parties). It did take a few times to get it where we could enjoy the party ourself.

TentHunter

Jim & TD are right. I cook for a group of around 140 or so every year (Marching band cookout) and it takes a lot of work and precise planning to get the food cooked, served safely and on-time. BUT... I'm providing all of the food, not just the meat.

If that's the case for you as well, then a caterer might be a good consideration.

Since it's a reunion I'm going to take a leap and guess two things: 1) Everybody will be bringing stuff, so you're not cooking everything, just the ribs. 2) Since joining the forum a couple years ago, you've become the BBQ guru in your family and they want YOU to cook them. Am I close?

If that's the case, then you can handle 25 racks yourself and there are tricks you can use, but I'd be most concerned about where you're going to store them. Do you have a second fridge you can clean out and have dedicated just for these?

Top Bottom