Rack of Lamb with Mint-Basil Pesto

Cooking for myself Saturday night, so that means lamb or something else the family doesn't like. Tried a different recipe from the food network website. Rack of Lamb with Mint-Basil Pesto. Sounded a bit different, but the pesto was fantastic (if you like mint!).

I have also seen some recent questions about what MAK add-ons to get. I tried to use a few....the top rack (I would get two halves instead of single like I have, but either way a must), MAK griddle (a must for flexibility and creativity), and the M-2 armored probe. I also used a Maverick E-732 (reading matched the MAK probe), and an ultrafast lime green Thermapen (the internal temperature authority in my book).

For the pesto, here are the ingredients:

Called for toasted walnuts...I smoked some chopped walnuts for a while:

Didn't take any pictures of chopping all of the ingredients or putting them in the food processor, but you will see the end result. Next, started on the potatoes. Here are the ingredients, but also used EVOO:

Put on the top rack of the MAK:

Seasoned a Rack of Lamb from Costco with BPS Desert Gold. MAK had been preheating at 400°F, and added some EVOO to the griddle. Seared the rack on each side. The side facing the grill was seasoned much more heavily:

Flipped after about 4 minutes, with the rack on the griddle and the potatoes on the top shelf:

After 4 more minutes on the rib side, moved to top rack and inserted M-2 Armored probe to monitor internal temperature:

Pulled at IT of 140°F (about 5°F higher than I wanted to). Let rest 15 minutes and cut between bones:

Picture is not the best, but done a tad more than I prefer. Then plated up with potatoes, adding the pesto to the top of each lollipop. Served with a fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil salad. These were the best potatoes I have made on the MAK. Not sure if it was the sweet onion, the LLw/P, or the length of time I cooked them, but I hope I can repeat it! I am one who cooks by feel and does not keep logs. Probably a mistake!

This was really good, and the mint makes it a wonderful summer type meal.

Thanks for looking!

Pappymn

Looks great. Pulling at 125 and resting is now my go to temp. Not gonna even think about it anymore.

Top Bottom