Cooking for the Moms

Since we are the only ones whithout kids, we decided to host Mothers Day brunch. Mrs HTS cooked quiches and carmel rolls in the oven and I did the important items (the meat) on the grill. I loaded up the Pro with kielbasa, a breakfast fattie, adn hash browns.

I didn't get any of the finished shots, things got a lttle hectic. Sorry.
I wanted to ask if anyone else has done hash browns on the grill. I have tried them on a frog mat, but was a little disappointed in how crispy/browned they got. I used a perforated piece of stainless steel sheet this time and it seemed to work pretty well. The edges got nice and brown, and I just kept folding the edges into the middle. Also when the hash browns were under the bacon explosion they got a nice basting of bacon flavor. Does anyone else have any gash brown tips?

HTS

TentHunter

Hearthland Tech Support said:
I didn't get any of the finished shots, things got a lttle hectic. Sorry.

That's OK. All that food on the grill looks like a buffet waiting to happen. I'd have just pulled a chair up!

TrickyDick

I would also like to hear about hash brown secrets. I've never had good luck either. Haven't tried on pellet grill yet, but can't get right in regular kitchen. Cast iron helps but they seem to soak up an unlimited amount of fat. My last attempt was made with a leftover baked potato from the fridge, shredded then pan fried in hot bacon grease with cast iron pan. Partial success, but next time I think a partially cooked of microwaved potato, cooled then shredded might be the answer.

TD

I might have to give cast iron a try. I suppose you would have to give the cast iron pan/skillet a little time to get up to temp?
One of the thigs I like about hash browns on the grill is that I didn't have to use very much oil or grease.

HTS

I agree with Tent. The picture of the grill is good enough. Great spread! I have to agree, a griddle or cast iron would help with the hash browns, but have not tried personally.

Top Bottom