Birthday Ribs

dono

First time cooking ribs on the Mak 1, basically followed Meatheads recipe.

1. Removed the inside skin.
2. Rubbed with Canola oil.
3. Added Memphis style rub I have be making for a while ~2 TBL per side, in frig for 1 hr.
4. Put in smoker, set point 225F with BBQD apple.
5. After 3hrs sprayed with apple juice add a little rub.
View attachment 2248
6. No crutch cooked straight through 6 hrs total, I think the length of time was due to the amount of meat in the pit and the meat was cold from the frig. Tested three ways tooth pick, bend and thermapen in the thickest part. All tested done approximately at the same time, 180F on the thermapen. Very Dark Bark.
View attachment 2247
7. Results, added non smoked flavored BBQ sauce, pit added smoky flavor, strong rub flavor, nice bite. Next time I might try BBQD Oak to cut back on the smoke flavor, comments?
View attachment 2249

TentHunter

The ribs look fabulous. Nice bark & smoke ring on those puppies!

dono said:
4. Put in smoker, set point 225F with BBQD apple...

Next time I might try BBQD Oak to cut back on the smoke flavor, comments?

As you found out, contrary to popular belief, Apple is NOT a light smoke flavor. My Applewood smoked bacon is always very smoky. That's part of the reason I like using it. It's the heaviest of the fruit woods and adds a strong camp-fire like smell with hints of sweet undertones.

Try a mix of Apple & Hickory. It's my favorite mix for pork, especially ribs.

dono said:
6. No crutch cooked straight through 6 hrs total,

Crutch? I have honestly never used a crutch to cook ribs. Foil works really well though and lets me add another layer of flavor. ;)

BTW - Happy Birthday!!!

Last edited:

dono

Thanks for the compliments. The taste has great pork flavor the BBQ sauce was a good addition sweat & sour tang from the cider vinegar. As TentHunter points out, a little more smoke flavor than I expected. Next time will try a different wood. Thanks to All!

dono

One additional comment. I did not realize how much affect the oil had on the rub. Out of pure lack if knowledge, in my prior ventures, I did not think of adding a "glue" for the rub. The oil magnified the color and flavor of the rub considering I used a small amount compared to the amount I would pack on a bare rib. HTH

Top Bottom