Fast brisket on pellets

BradT

I couldn't find a thread on this so i thought i would start one to see what other peoples experiences have been. I have cooked quite a few briskets on Mak and Memphis grills with some good results at all different ranges but from what i have experienced 275 to 300 seems to be the best temp range for hot and fast. The major difference i noticed is the need to run the internal temp to 210 and above for proper rendering while having a bit weaker smoke ring. Smoke ring could be better by running it at 180 for an hour first but that just adds more time, but if you are looking to get one done in a hurry this is a great way to do it. I have had them cook close to the 300 range at around 25 min per pound and with a decent rest they turn out pretty nice.

scooter

300-350 and they're done at 200IT in 4.5 hours. Easily as good as any I've done low and slow. Ribs done around 3 hours, pork butt in 5 hours. The pellet money has stopped flying out the window. :)
As you said, smoke ring is a problem as is smoke flavoring. Need a smoke generator to help with the smoke flavor. The meat needs to go as far away from the heat source as possible.
H&F is an option that works. Not saying it should replace L&S, just that it gives a pitmaster some options.

Last edited:

HoDeDo

I have done hot and fast briskets on my Tailgator (TG-300). I cook them at 350-375, and they come out with great color and flavor.
What they lose in smoke ring, they gain in complexity, as the drippings vaporize when hitting the deflector plate, and add a ton of flavor to the meat.

The key is they take a little more immediate effort. You are essentially taking the same amount of care/effort you would on a 10 hr brisket, but jamming it all into 4 hours. Hot cook meat has won 3 of the last 5 American Royals... so it is definately is a method that can turn out good food. :)

Make sure you clean your cooker before you go for the hot and fast cook; grease and sawdust make for a great fireworks display when you are cooking hotter than the flash point of the grease!

Top Bottom