Vegetarians...

Jessie

I was wondering... how do you accommodate vegetarian or vegan guests? I have a lot of friends who don't eat meat!

Does anybody have any great vegetarian recipes? If so, please share them!

Thanks!

FLBentRider

You must have all the vegan friends, I don't think I have any.

But if I did, I'm not sure what I would make - we do have a portabella mushroom "pizza" that is pretty good.

The mushroom is the crust.

Jessie

Bear --- haha!

FL --- The mushroom is the crust? Sounds good! Did you come up with the recipe yourself? I've never had mushrooms off of a pellet grill before (hints towards BPS Team)... how do they hold up as a crust?

FLBentRider

We usually do them in the oven, but I'm sure it could be adapted to the pellet grill.

We put them in by themselves for about 10 to 15 minutes to cook out some of the moisture.

Then top with pizza sauce, cheese, and any other favorite pizza toppings. (we use pepperoni but that's not vegan)

back into the oven until the cheese melts. serve.

We just kind of made it up as we went...

Oh yeah 350F or so.

scooter

Tofu marinated in teriyaki and EVOO then grilled on a pellet pit is a darn fine alternative to meat! Sesame oil, soy and rice vinegar is another great marinade for tofu

jimsbarbecue

Use grill grates on sliced zucchini. Bell Peppers Portabella Mushrooms slices etc. Remember they will only eat food off a grill that has not had meat cooked on it or has been clean to the natural metal like in a self cleaning oven.

SisInLaw

I was a vegetarian for nine months one time and then another time a vegan for six months. Not for any silly political reasons but to help lower cholesterol and other levels. The levels dropped but not that much and my constant drooling for animal protein won out both times. A few times friends made me Portabella mushroom hamburgers by sauteing the mushroom for quite a while, adding wine and garlic and pressing it down to release liquid until YUM, with all the fixings you would normally put on a burger they were fab. I have many Vegetarian and vegan cookbooks and recipes that are pretty good.

But alas, nothing beats the real thing.

Jessie

Thanks for the recipe FL!

And Scooter, I'll have to try those marinades...

Thanks everyone for the info!

Top Bottom