Ribs, and... uhm... ribs!

TentHunter

We did these a couple weeks ago, but I've been so busy I hadn't had a chance to post the pics.

I had a rack of Baby Backs I'd cut from a whole pork loin that needed to be used, but had been wanting some beef ribs. I figured why not pick up some beef short ribs from the butcher and cook 'em both up?

On the MAK they go to catch some smoke about 225° for a few hours...
B%2526BBS01.JPG

After a few hours... looking & smelling good.
B%2526BBS02.JPG

Into a foil pan with just a little braising liquid (Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar & Kentucky Bourbon). Covered tightly with foil and back on for a good hour at about 300°. Done (on the right). Even though the beef ribs are a lot thicker, foiling levels the playing field so they both were done and tender.
B%2526BBS03.JPG

Back on the grill for about 15 minutes or so tightens the bark right back up, then hit with some sauce.
B%2526BBS04.JPG

They were both really good, smoky, tangy, sweet & tender. I don't know which I liked better. My wife said the beef ribs were the best.

Sorry, no plated shots (camera batteries died).

So Cal Smoker

How much Braising Liquid did you put in the pan Cliff? I've never used a pan, always wrapped in love and foil. Next time I do ribs I'll try the pan. Thanks Cliff.

TentHunter

Very good and a great tip when you are cooking a bunch of ribs and want to foil...its ok to us a pan

It was maybe 1/4 cup each brown sugar, Cider Vinegar & Kentucky Bourbon. I pour it right over top the meat (which is why they look moist in the pan on the left).

You'd think it would destroy the bark, but it really doesn't. As long as you seal it up tightly, the steam gets super heated and the bark actually continues to develop. Afterward, throwing it back on the grill tightens & dries it right back up.

I did some pulled pork this past weekend with the same basic method and got the same results. That butt had lots of really great well developed bark.

Top Bottom