Fourth of July Spatchcock Chicken

Big Poppa

Administrator
Gotta feed a crowd? Want to serve killer food and not break the bank of the kids orthodonics fund? Spatch it!

here is two on a hasty bake with pecan pellets and 2 on the mak two star cooked at 300 about 1.5 hours
IMG_1293_zps24005883.jpg

IMG_1294-2.jpg

IMG_1296_zps3b8d8030.jpg

seasoned with bps little louies and money

TentHunter

BP, That chicken looks mighty fine!

How do you spatchcock the chicken? Just cut down the middle with poutry shears and flatten it?

Use poultry shears to remove the back bone, turn over, press down on the breast to crack the bones and flatten the chicken. Don't throw away the back bone; use them for making chicken stock.

A spatchcocked chicken will cook in a little more than half the time of keeping the bird whole.

Looks great BP. What was the seasoning?

Family loved whole cooked chickens until I spatchcocked them. Now they prefer Spatchcock. Seems to cook much more evenly.

roburado

BP, when you use the Hasty Bake with pellets, do you use lump charcoal and sprinkle pellets in with the charcoal?

Big Poppa

Administrator
sorry Rob I didnt see this Yes same with the drum....just toss a handful in the drum

there is a video on bigpoppatv that shows you how to spatchcock

TentHunter

BP, when you use the Hasty Bake with pellets, do you use lump charcoal and sprinkle pellets in with the charcoal?

Tossing them in will work, but they tend to burn up quickly. Now, seal that same handful of pellets in a foil pouch with a a single small hole in it, and you will not believe how much smoke that little pouch pumps out.

The trick is poking only one small hole in the pouch (not several). This starves the pellets of Oxygen and they slowly carbonize instead of burning up (pyrolysis), releasing a lot of smoke in the process.

Using pellet pouches this way I don't have to supplement with wood chunks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom