Foil

5 Hole

What is the cause/effect of foiling? How much does the internal temp rise if you foil for 1-3 hrs after the cook? I'm always concerned that if I foil for more than 1 hr, the internal will temp will rise too much causing the meat to be over cooked. Is there a standard time meat should rest in foil?

3Bs-Bar-B-Que

I have found a 5 to 10 degs temp rise but I have learned to hit the low side of your smoke.cook and when foiling it will rise to your perfect temp ... practice practice we also dont foil right off the smoker we let it rest tented then foil just my 2 cents in my practices

MAK DADDY

It doesn't seem to go beyond the 5 to 10 degree temp once removed from the heat, I have held in cooler for 5 hrs and only dropped 5 degrees.

scooter

A lot depends on how much heat energy is stored up in the meat when you put it in the foil. Like Scott said, you can either allow for it by pulling the meat off the heat before it's done then foil immediately allowing the foil to finish the job or you can pull the meat when it's done and let the heat energy drain a bit before foiling.
If you choose to foil immediately after pulling from the pit consider that the mass of the meat and temp of the pit will dictate how big of a temperature carry over you get. Bigger cuts of meat like a rib roast have a large mass and will carry over temps farther than a tritip or steak especially if you cook high heat at the end of the cook.
The rib roasts I've done (5-10lbs cooked at 225F the whole cook) have taken up to an hour to stop increasing in temp (5-10 degrees carry over) after pulled from the pit and they were just tented, not sealed in foil.

5 Hole

Sounds good guys. So lets say I was cooking a 9lb butt and the internal finish temp is 193, do you think the temp could rise to 198-203 if I foil for an hour right out of the cooker?

scooter

Here's an analogy for you 5 hole, picture a chunk of meat as a train. The more heavily loaded (mass) a train is and the faster the train is traveling down the tracks (heat), the farther it will go before being able to come to a stop. Understanding exactly how far the train will will take to come to a stop, under a set of circumstances, requires a deeper knowledge of math than I posess. I think it would be safer for you to pull it at say 200IT and let some of the heat energy dissipate before you wrap it. IMO

Last edited:

5 Hole

I would say yes also would ask what temp u are cooking at ?????

My pit temp is 240 degrees.

The next butt I cook, I'm going to leave a temp probe in the butt after I foil and put in a cambro. I'm curios to see how much the temp rises.

Scooter..great train analogy.

Big Poppa

Administrator
scooter the only thing I can say is that joe has two firsts and a 5th in his last ones pulling at 193 and resting in foil in the cambro for an hour...He carcked the top 100 this year in pork butt

5 Hole

"I think it would be safer for you to pull it at say 200IT and let some of the heat energy dissipate before you wrap it".

Scooter-do you pull at 200 degrees?

Top Bottom