First cook on my new baby Mak 1 Star General serial 505.

dstemmerman

My first cook on my new Mak 1 Star was a single slab of pork spare ribs. I trimmed the skirt off but left on the sternum and costal cartilage. I used a KC style rub and mustard slather. Put them on at 225. Smoked ribs bone side down for 3 hours with hourly apple juice spritz. Placed in foil with brown sugar, honey and Parkay and back in to the Mak for 2 hours bone side up (I wanted the meat to baste in the sugar, butter and honey slurry). Removed the ribs and back on to the smoker bone side down to tighten up a little for an hour. 15 min prior to pulling, applied a thin layer of EAT Barbeque KC style sauce. They turned out great but not perfect. After being off for 30 min, they started to dry up a little bit on the edges. I wonder if I should have let them set more than 5 min prior to cutting. Any constructive criticisms?

4cd29ac0-d33f-4a15-8fdc-d140e4a3e7a4_zpsbde6fc5e.jpg

Darren

TentHunter

Fabulous!

I'm not sure if letting them rest longer would've helped with the drying around the edges issue. No matter how long they rest, once they're cut the only way to keep the edges from drying out is to cover them.

The only criticism I would even begin to venture is to suggest cutting out the apple juice spritz every hour. I think it's way overrated and only serves to drop the pit temp (and meat temp) which adds time to the cook.

Otherwise, them are some fine looking ribs sir!

dstemmerman

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try not spritzing next time and see if that helps. I may just introduce a water bowl for moisture in to the chamber. Third rack I have ever smoked so I was pretty happy with them. Can't wait to see how good they get when I learn all the intricasies of my smoker and what works and doesn't.

Top Bottom