Crispy Herbed Spatchcock Chicken

TentHunter

Nothing fancy, just playing around here with a spatchcock chicken coated with mayo, sage, salt, pepper & rosemary. Cooked in the MAK running Apple pellets at 400°.
CS01.JPG

I'm pretty happy with the crispy skin we've been getting using the mayo/high heat combo. I just want to see if flipping it over for the last 10 minutes or so improves it any more.
CS02.JPG

It turned out great. Nice crispy skin like we've been getting. The skin was maybe a tad more crispy, but it's really hard to say without a side by side comparison. All I know is it was good. I really like the sage/rosemary/pepper flavor profile with the Applewood smoke. It makes a great flavor combo.
CS03.JPG

Ozric

Let's see. TentHunter's location? NE Ohio. Cleveland. Akron. Pretty part of the country. Good people. But Skyline Chili the best you've got? There's Carolina Q. Memphis Q. Texas Q. KC Q. But Ohio Q?

Wait. What's this? A bottle of Louisiana hot sauce? In a NE Ohio kitchen?

Poooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiints!

Edit: Is there no way to give points/props to someone on this forum? If not, sorry Cliff. Hopefully, you'll accept the "it's the thought that counts" explanation.

Last edited:

TentHunter

The Chic looks Delish Tent. Did you put any of your ingredients under the skin also?

Nope, just on the outside, both top & bottom. It had plenty of flavor too.

...NE Ohio. Cleveland. Akron. Pretty part of the country. Good people. But Skyline Chili the best you've got? There's Carolina Q. Memphis Q. Texas Q. KC Q. But Ohio Q?

I'm in Barberton, which borders Akron! :)

Yeah, Ohio is known more for German, Hungarian & Amish country cooking, big dairy & cheese production and Maple Syrup. BUT we do BBQ and Pig Roasts aren't uncommon. Ohio hosts around 30 KCBS events each year, and don't forget, we have the BBQ Central Radio Show with Greg Rempe out of Cleveland. ;)

Speaking of Skyline Chili... With beans or without, chili is definitely something we like here in Ohio. You'd think it would be Texas, but more chili is consumed per capita here than any other state with Cincinnati leading the state! ;)

Ozric

Rempe's out of Cleveland?!? I stand corrected, sir. What style would you call Ohio Q? KC style (with that many events)? Got your own style, you know, a spicy, glow-in-the-dark sauce with a base of fine water from the Cuyahoga River, no additional oil needed?

Sorry, needed a music reference. :p [Randy Newman]

TentHunter

Got your own style, you know, a spicy, glow-in-the-dark sauce with a base of fine water from the Cuyahoga River, no additional oil needed?

Sorry, needed a music reference. :p [Randy Newman]

ROFL!!!

I think it's fair to say that KC style BBQ would be the closest to what most folks around here cook. A common variation on pulled pork around here is pulled pork with BBQ sauce mixed in (a lot of folks just call that BBQ Pork).

Ozric

Shows our age. lol. When was that, '69 or so? You know, back when I thought I knew EVERYTHING. 45 years later, I now know that I know jack. And a little jill. But not much else. :p

Top Bottom