Christmas is prime time!

scooter

Who's doing a standing rib or ribeye roast in a few weeks? I for one will be and will probably be choice but if there's a nice hunk of prime at Costco I might go for it. I'll be experimenting with this years roast. Like last year I'll be cooking it at 225 until it reaches 140IT then tent for an hour to rest or until the push (carryover) comes to a complete stop. Then, the experiment (well, two experiments actually) will be it'll go back on the MAK at around 500 for about 10-15 mins to get a crust on then pull it off and slice the sizzling monster roast in front of the family. When I cut into it, it will be wonderfully medium/medium rare pink from edge to edge with a nice dark sizzling salty, spiced crust! Can't wait!
the second experiment will be dry aging it for at least 8 days but that's another thread.
The night before I'll trim the aging off then rub with EVOO and Montreal Steak seasoning, granulated garlic and granulated onion possibly. Then seal it in a vacuseal bag with several fresh sprigs of rosemary to marry over night.
The day of I'll pull it from the fridge about 45 mins before go time. Preheat the MAK to 225 and put it in then pull it when it reaches 140IT and rest then the final sear, slice and serve!!!
How are the rest of you primers handling your roasts?

My au jus recipe and horseradish sauce recipes.

Au Jus: Make mirepoix of 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2 stalks celery, saute with EVOO in a pan until onions are carmelized. Deglaze with 1/4 CP sherry (might try marsala this year). Add 3 cups Minor's beef broth (3 CP water to approx 1 TBS Minors base) and simmer for 15-20 minutes, strain out mirepoix, pour au jus into a saucepan. Add approx 1/2 cup of roast drippings after rest period into au jus. Add 1 TSP of arrowroot in 2 TBS water to thicken slightly (optional thickening step).

Horseradish sauce: 1 CP sour cream, 2 TBS fresh grated or prepared horseradish, 1 TBS lemon juice, 1 TBS worcestershire sauce, a couple dashes of Tabasco sauce, fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to taste. Mix together.

CarterQ

Thanks for the au jus and horseradish recipes those look great.

My Brother and his family are coming down next weekend for Christmas celebration #1, and prime rib will be getting the call. Not sure how I want to do it yet.

Couple months ago I did a prime rib starting it out on high for an hour and then had the Pellet Boss kick it down to 250 until an internal temp of 130. Rested and sliced, it had even color edge to edge and it was the best Prime Rib I ever had. Would like to try the reverse sear too but I am leery of messing with perfection!

For sure I will rub with Wee Willy's Steak Formula and let it warm up to room temp. Think I will pull the trigger and go with the Costco prime as well.

Man I love the holidays!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I now dolike that perfect prime rib...reverse sear and just a little...ill go at 250 until 130 then hit is on all sides on high for a minute a side

You know what as long as its 275 or less you cannot go wrong

Deb

I'm doing one as well. I haven't decided whether it will be a local one or Costco, I have to look to see what I can get. I'll be doing reverse sear. Haven't decided exactly how I"m flavoring but usually olive oil, lots of garlic, rosemary, thyme, celery salt, lots of black pepper

I have to have one slice that is well done (yuk) - suggestions on how to accomplish this?

FLBentRider

I've be doing 2 on my portable (non-pellet) smoker this year.

Deb as far as the well done... maybe cut a slice off and foil wrap and into the oven... or microwave....

Big Poppa

Administrator
I know about the well done people...their parents abused them. Cut off an end cut and smoke it cut side down until you can no longer take it!

Deb

when do you think I should cut?

I was thinking about cutting a slice before cooking & tying back on, then separating close to the end of cooking time. Do you think this would work? Then I wouldn't risk ending up with a puddle on my cutting board instead of the juice being in the roast where it belongs.

TentHunter

We have a duck and I'm also thinking of getting a picnic shoulder and curing & smoking it like a ham. Whether I do one or both it'll be a new learning experience for me... and that's always fun!

MAK DADDY

Had a guy tell me this past week he smokes his all the way to 200 degrees, he swore it is the only way to cook prime rib.
I just nodded and smiled :)

Top Bottom