Smoking Lasagna

Tucson BBQ Fan

I decided that it was time to cook a little Italian, so I went to an Italian pre-school... - Oops - wrong story!

I had a hankering for Lasagna, but the wife said it makes the kitchen too hot to cook in there (she has been saying that a lot these days - wonder why?), so I decided to cook it in my Pellet smoker instead.

First made some sauce - ground Italian sausage, some ground beef, lots of garlic, cooked down some Romas and Onions and put it all together with some fresh basil, fresh oregano, fresh Thyme, couple of bay leaves, little salt & pepper and a nice merlot. Cooked that on low for a couple of hours (Yeah, I did have to use the kitchen some)
View attachment 2389

Mixed some Ricotta cheese with a few eggs and finely grated Parmesan CheeseView attachment 2390

Sliced up some MozzarellaView attachment 2391

Cooked the Lasagna noodles and started layering in an extra deep Lasagna panView attachment 2392

3 full layers (sauce, pasta, cheese) and ended with a final layer of pasta, sauce, mozzarella only and grated Parmesan.View attachment 2393

Heat my Memphis Elite up to 250 with Hickory pellets and loaded the lasagna. I'm figuring 2.5-3 hrs. at 250. I may boost the temp to 300 later - depends on how it goes. I'll post photos when it is done.

Tucson BBQ Fan

I checked at 1.5 hours - not getting as brown and crispy as I like it on top, so I increased the temperature to 300 for another 1.5 hours. Took it off the smoker to rest for 20 minutes prior to cutting - came out very good. Cut nicely - did not fall apart - even got the first piece out in one piece, yet was still very moist. Next time, I might run at 300 for the entire 3 hours and see how it does.View attachment 2397

after cuttingView attachment 2396

before vanishing act beginsView attachment 2398

Top Bottom