How important is "Just the right cut of meat"

Bear

Is the cut more important than the process?

This BBQ thing started out by mostly taking the cheap cuts of meat and making them edible.

How long do you stand in the meat dept. trying to find the "perfect" cut?

Big Poppa

Administrator
On the low and sow it doesnt really natter...(unless you consider Strube brisket) On the steaks and chops it is super important I think that the pellet grill exposes the shortcomings of a bad cut

TentHunter

Great question!

I had to stop & think about it for a few minutes and have to admit that being a working class family, price plays a big role in our choice of cut. I love that smoking/grilling allows me to take a cheaper cut and making it taste 5 star restaurant quality (or better).

Our preferred cuts:

For beef steaks - I have to avoid eating a lot of beef, so when I do I want it to taste right! For steaks if porterhouses are on sale we will splurge occasionally and go that route, but honestly for my money I think the flavor of a good sirloin is hard to beat. (I am really enjoying this new-to-me reverse sear method on steaks. They taste better than any steak I've ever had at any restaurant and at a fraction of the cost!)

For pulled beef - price plays the biggest role on whether I get Brisket or Chuck roast. They're both tough cuts of meat with similar fat structure. I have done both and can't tell a difference. My butcher swears that brisket is way overrated for smoking. He sells a cut of chuck he calls an English Roast. Because the marbling is throughout, instead of a fat cap, it makes a great bark when smoked.

For pork, we (especially my wife & daughter) prefer pork steaks (cut from the shoulder) over chops, which ironically are an economy cut. But occasionally I have to get some good thick cut chops for stuffing!

5 Hole

I've gotten better comp results using Sams Club butts instead of Duroc or Mangalitsa pork. Those premium cuts are much tastier in my opinion but I'm not sure comp judges are used to it or if it makes a difference.

jimsbarbecue

Great question!

I had to stop & think about it for a few minutes and have to admit that being a working class family, price plays a big role in our choice of cut. I love that smoking/grilling allows me to take a cheaper cut and making it taste 5 star restaurant quality (or better).

Our preferred cuts:

For beef steaks - I have to avoid eating a lot of beef, so when I do I want it to taste right! For steaks if porterhouses are on sale we will splurge occasionally and go that route, but honestly for my money I think the flavor of a good sirloin is hard to beat. (I am really enjoying this new-to-me reverse sear method on steaks. They taste better than any steak I've ever had at any restaurant and at a fraction of the cost!)

I agree if I am eating beef steaks then need to be good and on sale. If you notice meat sales cycle in a 8 week period. If porterhouse is on sale this week it will be on sale in no less then 8 weeks. I drive by Sam's and Smart and final as the meat in the case gets close to the sell date the prices go down. On brisket I look at the meat more so then the grade.But recently If not getting the mark downs from Smart and final or Sam's I buy from the RD. But right now there are two mark down briskets in the freezer.Chicken' Pork ribs buy when on sale.Then when the budget is tight we shop in the freezer.

Top Bottom