Lets Kill it for a LABOR DAY CONTEST!!!!! EVERYBODY WINS

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets smoke the doors off....lets see tons of entries! Scooter get out the mustards book....tatonka break out the dust....chili lets see some smokin peppers....Tent lets see some band food....RickB how about some of your fine fixins?

If we get 20 entries I double the pot!

First place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 buck for all others

Bring it on!

RickB

Have'nt fired up the Mak in almost a month...time to get that puppy back in the game! I'm in.

scooter

kskomodo, Monday holiday weekend turnin deadline is on Monday night at midnight Pacific Time

Last edited:

scooter

BP, the last weekend contest I can find was weekend of July 26th-28th. Scott6049 was the winner. Has there been a weekend contest since then?

fishingbouchman

work all weekend and nights to boot. but see if I can get up early and toss something together. been 3 weeks since I have cooked anything. what better reason to get out.

TentHunter

BP, the last weekend contest I can find was weekend of July 26th-28th. Scott6049 was the winner.

That's correct. Scott6049 is the judge for this contest.

As scooter mentioned, since it's a holiday weekend, it starts Friday and ends midnight Monday PST.

If you've never entered, give it a go. It's a lot of fun.

Contest rules are posted here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-weekly-cooking-contests-23/weekly-contest-rules-2241/

As a reminder, the main rule is: You must show how pellets were used in the cook.

Happy cooking all! :)

SisInLaw

Sis is getting the yen to smoke up something yummy. Since I had that little birthday party for my friend and made all the smoked food, all those same people are starting to ask me at the end of each week, "Are you smoking anything this weekend?" haha, not very subtle.

Chili Head

Get up everyone it's cooking day!!!! Hahahah
e2u6ysen.jpg

ta9any8u.jpg

Sinitron

Labor Day Winning Prime Rib!

I Never cooked a prime rib before, read a few different tips on here before I winged it.
The Red Sox won today, naming my cook after their victory.

Labor Day Winning Prime Rib:
  • 5lb bone-off, slightly trimmed, and tied it up
  • Morton's Kosher salt + fresh ground black pepper first
  • Big Poppa's double-secret rub
  • Wrap tight and let sit overnight
  • BBQ Delight hickory + apple pellets mixed
  • 240° at first, bumped to 250° since it rained for an hour
  • Cooked to 135-140 IT, foiled and left to rest
  • Thermapenned after rest, still 135IT

OH MY GOOD GOLLY MOLLY, ... best I've had. Everyone loved it.
Fantastic beef flavor, pronounced smoke ring, well cooked outside, juicy as can be!

Wish I did this sooner!

Thanks,
-Brian

Setup:
uF7tbIL.jpg

The start:
Z1VhKW5.jpg

The full cook:
8pXY0Bb.jpg

The results (the money shot!) :cool::
3NhTjVW.jpg

Chili Head

Rib eyes with sautéed mushrooms

It's been a full day of cooking and I loved every minute of it!
I started early about 6:30 am. I had to get up and let the dogs out so I figured might as well get started.
Cup of coffee in hand I fired up the MAK.

I set the ingredients out for the peach cobbler but I changed it up at the last minute plus i sorta goofed big time. I caught it before I couldn't fix it though..that's what happens before I'm awake.

I made the cobbler out of ..
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 ts cinnamon
Vanilla
Peaches
2 sticks butter
eju3a4yz.jpg

u7e2ypag.jpg

da2u2yje.jpg

I baked this using oak at 350 degrees for almost an hour.

Next up was to get some peppers ready for ABT's to snack on while the NASCAR boys turned left , left, left, left, left tonight.
These were cooked at 275 burning oak.

I filled these with sharp cheddar and queso chihuahua cheese. I also trimmed the tops of the habaneros and added that to the jalapeños. A little extra love in every bite!
ape3uhe3.jpg

myzeha9u.jpg

e9emuvet.jpg

The ABTs are done!
e2u8yqyp.jpg

Time to get the mushrooms ready. These went into a crock pot for 2 hours then I sautéed them to reduce them down.
Here's what went into them..
1 stick of butter
3TB Worcestershire
3TB soy sauce
1ts garlic salt
1ts crushed rosemary
24 OZ sliced mushrooms
eby2utyj.jpg

I cooked some corn on the cob too at 275. These were wrapped in foil with butter , salt and pepper.

Now finally it's time for rib eyes!
These were rubbed with double secret and cooked burning oak with the MAK running about 450 degrees.
The wife likes hers medium well so hers went on first.

A few minutes on each side and a flip and twirl.
uqe2eruq.jpg

Here we go plated up!
Rib eye, corn on the cob, baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon and chives.
A meal fit for a guy who cooked ALL day LOL!

With sautéed mushrooms..these are really good and my favorite way to sautéed them.
eqy7apud.jpg

Done just the way I like it! Medium rare/medium.

Now it's peach cobbler time!!! I shouldn't but I gotta...lol
I heated some up then added a little vanilla bean ice cream.
tamagyma.jpg

So rich and soooo good! Perfect ending to the meal.

Belly..full..whoooo

A few hours later I enjoyed some ABTs while watching the race..Dang Kyle Busch...
I mixed some habanero sauce with some sour cream for dipping.

Yeah I'm done stick a fork in me!!!

Last edited:

kskomodo04

Brisket rubbed down with some MONEY!
th_IMG_0026-1.jpg
[/URL]

Onto the smoker at 250
th_IMG_0027.jpg
[/URL]

9 1/2 hours later
th_IMG_0029.jpg
[/URL]

Plated Up
th_IMG_0031-1.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

MossyMO

Brisket and Burnt Ends

Started with a 14 pound untrimmed brisket, injected with homemade smoked au jus from the prime rib cook a week ago and refrigerated the brisket overnight, then trimmed and also seasoned with Tatonka Dust.

-----

Had the WSM holding steady between 235º and 250º the entire cook. Put a tube smoker full of cherry pellets in the WSM but with the lack of oxygen it just would not smolder so I used cherry Mojo Bricks and added a handful of pellets to the coals about every 1/2 hour so this cook could be eligible for BP's contest!

-----

-----

Here is the brisket about 7 hours in just prior to separating the point and foiling the flat to go back in the WSM.

-----

Burnt ends from the brisket point were made with Tatonka Dust, brown sugar, Blue Moon - Belgium pale ale and a little Plowboys Sweet 180 was added right before serving.

-----

A hash-brown casserole and sweet corn brushed with garlic olive oil and seasoned with Big Poppa's Jallelujah Bacon Jalapeño rub on the grill with a foiled pan on burnt ends on the lower rack with the brisket was resting in a cooler, this brisket cooked a little over 11 hours.

-----
Brisket being sliced...

-----
and now plated...

-----

and a close up for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for looking!

RickB

Seafood on the Mak!

The menu is..

Oysters Lagniappe

Grilled Shrimp

Grilled Salmon

Roasted Potato’s

Sautéed Broccoli

Let’s start with the stuffing for the Oysters. The players.

IMG_1717_zps6ef80b0e.jpg

Cook the veg
IMG_1719_zps576d305d.jpg

Add the cream cook to a simmer, add the cheese. Take off the heat, add the bread crumbs, parsley, green onions. Let cool.

IMG_1720_zpsac8e5ac2.jpg

Got some 16/20 shrimps ready to go. Add some Old Bay and Happy Endings.

IMG_1730_zps8c6cfce9.jpg

Potato’s ready to roast

IMG_1733_zps3e2c6a1c.jpg

Salmon ready

IMG_1737_zps994ec8f1.jpg

Let’s get the oysters going, add some lunp crab, the stuffing and ready for the Mak

IMG_1741_zps0069a364.jpg

Mak loaded up

IMG_1747_zps30d88fa6.jpg

Let’s eat!

IMG_1750_zps12b4aefa.jpg

IMG_1752_zpsfa521d05.jpg

Enjoy!

Top Bottom