Butt & Brisket

Goatboy25

I am considering entering my first KCBS event but I just want to be clear on something. I know that I can't separate my butt and return it to the smoker but am I allowed to do that for burnt ends on a brisket? It may seem like a simple question but I am new to the competition side of things. Thanks for your help.

Goatboy25

I think I got my question answered by reading another forum. As I thought, it sounds like the "meat cannot be separated" rule only applies to pork butt.

scooter

You can only separate brisket and return to the cooker. A rules change in the KCBS July BoD will make it legal (in effect Jan 2014) to separate pork and return it to the cooker if I read the below BoD minutes correctly

Exerpt from KCBS July 2013 BoD minutes said:
Rule Committee

Motion to amend the pork rule that was originally re-worked for the 2014 season. This new wording would replace what was adopted previously and go into effect January 1, 2014:

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

Mike Peters Second motion

Aye 8 , Mike Budai, Tana Shupe,Mark Simmon,Mike Peters,Kim Collier,Wayne Lohman,Jeff Stith,Randy Bigler

No 2 Steve Farrin, Don Harwell

Motion pass

- See more at: Kansas City Barbeque Society

Goatboy25

Wow. That's a major turn around if it comes to fruition. The whole "parted" and "returned" language has created some bbq controversy. Now folks don't have to cook multiple butts to reach different temps for pulling and money muscle. Good for us bad for pork farmers, ha!

Top Bottom