More practice chicken

Goatboy25

With my first KCBS event coming up in just a few weeks I've been practicing my prep work on chicken along with the cooking process. Here's a shot of the final results. Getting bite through skin which I am excited about. Some of the pieces would go in a box in my opinion, others would not.

I didn't let the sauce glaze on as much as I'd like but with bed time coming up and my wife waiting on dinner patiently it was time to take them off the Traeger.

Although, I will say that I enjoy eating the "bad" pieces just as much!

null_zps405c55e5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TentHunter

The competition judges might say the sauce looks a little thick & uneven, but I'd be just fine eating them... Just pass me a roll of paper towels!

scooter

Glad to see you abondoned the muffin pan. From the looks of that pic you are using way too much sauce. I think most judges look for the flavor of the meat first. Anything you add to it must compliment the flavor of the meat. Think balance of flavors. You don't want anything out of balance, too much salt, too much smoke, too much spiciness, or not enough salt, smoke or spiciness. It really is a balance you have to find. Anything out of balance will hurt your flavor score. If all a judge can taste is your sauce or smoke or spices, your taste score will suffer.
Good luck with your first comp! Take the time to take pics of all your turnin boxes for later analysis.

Goatboy25

Thanks for the great advice. I will do just that. I agree the sauce was a little heavy. I will thin it out for the competition. I will be sure to take pics.

Top Bottom