Carnitas

nepas

Not smoked but hope you enjoy the pics.

Ibarra chocolate ready to add the the chunked pork simmering in the seasoned broth. Simmer the pork for 3 hrs.
DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

Melt it and stir good.
DSC00936.jpg

Use a slotted spoon to take the pork out and place in a roaster pan. Add 4 cups of the broth to the raoster and place uncovered under the broiler. This will make the pork tender and crispy. 45 mins here.
DSC00945.jpg

This is what you should have in 45 mins.
DSC00961.jpg

Shred or pull
DSC00962.jpg

I use Adobo, smoked cumin, smoked paprika, smoked NM chili powder, mexican oregano, salt, pepper.

You can smoke the pork chunks before the simmer if you like. All my smokers were going today so i did not smoke it.

HoDeDo

We just made a killer batch of carnitas. I go old school with mine though.... very simple garlic, onion, cumin, salt, and pepper.... then I heat 3 lbs of lard in our 6qt. enameled cast iron cassarole. We add the pork, and a small orange sliced... and let it boil. As it boils at a lower temp (while the moisture boils off - from the meat/lard/orange slices) the pork cooks slowly and evenly. Then after the lard is boiled down, it begins to increase in temp as it boils of it's own accord The increase in temp crisps up the outside of the pork morsels, and viola.... some killer carnitas.

I usually roast some peppers to slice and mix with some onions to eat with them - after frying up some tortillas!

TentHunter

A few years ago, a local Mexican restaraunt owner (from Cotija, Mexico) invited us over to his house for a huge birthday party and showed me how he makes Carnitas. His restaraunt consitently gets voted best in the area year after year. His old-school method is pretty close to what Andy described. Only its on a bigger scale.

He has this huge stainless steel container he sets over a propane turkey fryer and uses this big stainless steel paddle to stir it almost constantly. Sometimes he'll squeeze half an orange and drop it into the oil to poach with the meat and sometimes he'll even add a little Cola to the oil. The smells coming out of the pot is incredible making you hungrier and hungrier the whole time. And you'd think it'd be greasy poaching it in oil, but the oppsite is actually true. Most of the fat is slowly rendered out leaving incredibly moist tender pork.

I'm glad its lunch time, cuz now I'm hungry!

Top Bottom