Christmas Dinner

5 Hole

What's the plan for Christmas? There are some creative cooks on here so no holding back! We'll probably do a Prime Rib on a MAK, ABT's and Armadillo eggs on the BPS drum (we have our first baby due then so plans may change!)

CarterQ

Right now we have two dinners to cook, #1 will be this weekend with a prime rib and #2 on Christmas day will probably be a ham. The fun part is figuring out the appetizers, sides, and what to do with a smoker and free time. Congrats on the baby, and just go ahead and figure your plans WILL change :)

scooter

Christmas is prime time in our house! Will serve creamy cheesy augratin taters, roasted asparagus and something else with it. Just haven't decided what yet.

5 Hole

Christmas is prime time in our house! Will serve creamy cheesy augratin taters, roasted asparagus and something else with it. Just haven't decided what yet.

You have to get Poppa's recipe for Blue Cheese taters! Unreal..

Last edited:

Deb

Congrats on the baby 5 Hole!

Still in the planning stage.... but I ordered a prime rib today for Christmas dinner. No idea on the sides, apps or desserts.... one dessert will probably a cheesecake for my dad.

Christmas eve is usually pasta and I'm leaning towards lasagna - I made sauce last weekend & put it in the freezer. About a month ago I made pasta and made some lasagna noodles that I haven't used yet. Hiding in the back of the freezer I have some local ground beef pork & veal - so either bolognese for the lasagna or meatballs. I'll do a salad and make a couple loafs of italian or semolina bread - simple meal. Most of it can be done ahead.

5 Hole

Thanks Deb...

Just had Lasagna last night. My wife is very Italian and she make a killer Lasagna.

Do you use Horseradish sauce for the Prime Rib?

Deb

I have never made a horseradish sauce. My dad loves horseradish, I'll have to find a recipe and try it this year.

do you have a recipe?

Trooper

The Christmas meal is usually on Christmas eve.
The Sloppy-Joes on the menu this year has now been changed to a sit-down prime rib dinner on the MAK!
SAM's has some nice looking Choice selections, bone off. (I've always done bone-in)
I'll be watching everyones posts for the lastest in advice.
Bring it on!

Also, social friends have been insisting on a trip over for BILL-B-QUE. So we're hosting the event on New Years eve.
Going to do pulled pork on cheap whte buns (can go wrong there). Probably do a couple of ribs as well for a sampler plate. Baked beans & slaw.
ABT's & MOINK balls for appetizers. We'll get out some red checkered tablecloths, rolls of paper towels on the tables, plasticware - you know the scene.

More later

Troop

TentHunter

We have a duck that I'll most likely spatchcock & smoke. Thinking of doing a honey-curry glaze for that. Also I am going to be trying my hand at ham curing/smoking with a picnic shoulder. Sides will most likely be some sort of stuffing, most likely some home made beer bread rolls, probably a pot of slow cooked green beans with the smoked bone from the picnic shoulder, maybe some cran-apple-orange sauce, maybe some turnips & carrots and maybe a dozen other side dishes. Oooh turnip greens, I can't forget turnip greens ;)!

All I know for sure is there will be lots and lots of food and family involved.

squirtthecat

We are flying to NYC on Christmas day, but I'll pack some smoked goodies to nibble on during the week...

Have BBQ, Will Travel!

1223091836-00.jpg

Red

All of this sounds amazing. My parents adopted a tradition of having pizza delivered on Christmas Eve many many years ago. I will let them continue the tradition for Christmas Eve, but I think I will steal some of your recipes for Christmas day dinner. That will show them what they have been missing all these years. It is tough to break traditions but some prime rib might just do the trick...

TentHunter

Don't pull your "Q" out during the flight and torture the other passengers with the wonderful smoky smells; they might throw you out of the plane to get to it!

5 Hole

I have never made a horseradish sauce. My dad loves horseradish, I'll have to find a recipe and try it this year.

do you have a recipe?

My family has been making this one for quite a while now. It's a nose burner so be careful!

Creamed Horseradish Sauce

1/4 Cup whipping cream

1/4 Cup sour cream

3 Tablespoons prepared horseradish (May be increased or decreased to suit individuals taste)
1/8 Teaspoon salt

Whip cream just to soft peaks; fold in sour cream, horseradish and salt. Makes about a cup.

Red

not that it doesn't sound good. i will be giving it a try for sure. i just didn't expect that type of culinary jargon from you.

Deb

5 Hole - thanks so much I'm going to try that recipe

TentHunter - details on the green beans, pretty please..... I need some different sides... and I have a ham hock in the freezer from last month

, probably a pot of slow cooked green beans with the smoked bone from the picnic shoulder,

Top Bottom