Sous Vide Lobster Tails

RickB

My cheap setup. $100 for the controller and already had the crock pot.

IMG_2048_zpsd6093ca5.jpg

Holding a perfect 140

IMG_2049_zpsd7929bf8.jpg

Shell 2 tails. About 5-6 oz each

IMG_2050_zpsfb004f30.jpg

Put the shells in a pot cook to 160. Since I removed the bottom membrane to remove the meat they won’t curl up. This is for presentation only.

IMG_2055_zpsb51b2db6.jpg

Thaw some homemade clarified butter. One cube cut in half for cooking the lobster the other two for dipping.

IMG_2058_zpsc2ec6e41.jpg

Lobster Vac packed

IMG_2060_zps49917920.jpg

Into the sous vide.

IMG_2061_zps37759a72.jpg

Cook at 140 for 45 minutes. Lets plate.

IMG_2065_zps3b4292ba.jpg

This is what the trouble is all about. The best lobster I have ever eaten and that’s sayin something. Buttery melt in your mouth. And this is my first try!

IMG_2066_zps2ed2f387.jpg

Enjoy!

Ozric

Lovely, Rick. Looks like it could have come right from Legal Seafood! I used to love grabbing a couple of bad boys on the way out of Logan airport in Boston. I'd carry them home on the plane and and prepare them immediately. Time of day didn't matter. :) But where am I going to find fresh lobster in Flagstaff? Sigh.

TentHunter

Very interesting, and making me hungry at the same time.

Please tell us more about that controller. How long did it take the water bath to come up to temp?

RickB

Very interesting, and making me hungry at the same time.

Please tell us more about that controller. How long did it take the water bath to come up to temp?

Dorkfood DSV. $99 bucks at Amazon. If you have a non-digital crock pot you are ready to go. Filled CP with 118 degree tap water and it took about 15 minutes to bring to temp.

Kite

Rick - I notice you are hot on sous vide these days. I have thought about it but am a bit concerned about cooking in plastic. Not too long ago there was a lot of buzz about microwaving in plastic dishes not being the best for your health. I really don't know the answer to this and am certainly not trying to pee on your sous vide (so to speak..), but what do you think about this?

RickB

Rick - I notice you are hot on sous vide these days. I have thought about it but am a bit concerned about cooking in plastic. Not too long ago there was a lot of buzz about microwaving in plastic dishes not being the best for your health. I really don't know the answer to this and am certainly not trying to pee on your sous vide (so to speak..), but what do you think about this?

Sorta like global warming... Do you really care! :)

TrickyDick

HAH!
Good answer!

If you've (and the "you've" goes out to everybody reading this) been eating steak at ANY chain steak restaurant in the last 10 years, then for sure you've been eating sous vide steak cooked in a plastic bag, plus all the biological hazards from the plastic contaminants. I have no idea what that means, but I'll tell you the steak tastes awesome! When they write the stuff on my tombstone, I hope they put "plastic, smashtic! The steak tasted great!"

TD

Top Bottom