Reverse Sear Space Shuttle style

Big Poppa

Administrator
Scooter posted a great post searing first directly on coals...here is a reverse sear where using the Hasty Bake (with pellets in the charcoal)....I seasoned the steaks and then put them on the top shelf with the fire box low
IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

when the internal hit 125 (hotter than most do with reverse sear) I raised the fire and put the steaks on for a little over a minute a side
IMG_0232-1.jpg

IMG_0233-1.jpg

IMG_0237-1.jpg

IMG_0242-2.jpg

Both techniques are winners.....if you have a weber kettle you can smoke on your pellet grill and then sear on the charcoal...either way you do it first or second it is a great steak

I love the Hasty Bake...It is the first "charcoal oven" designed in 1948 in Tulsa where it is still made...A great companion to a pellet grill. This was the Gourmet model

TentHunter

I am definitely trying this on my Weber (with pellets of course ;)).

I am loving the whole revers sear thing. Last time I did a indirect smoke with a probe in to monitor internal temp, pulled the wife's steak at 120 for medium rare & the rest at 130 for medium. Moved them over to a warmed plate & tented with foil while I spread out the coals. Then seared the steaks for about 2 min. per side.

The steaks were all perfect!

I'll do everything the same except I'll elevate the coals (like scooter showed) then do the reverse sear for maybe 1 min. 15 sec per side.

In fact your steaks (and Scooters) are looking so good I just might have to do this for supper tonight! That's if this storm subsides enough for me to un-bury my grill.

Red

Man I love the Hasty Bake, that window is so cool. I have been thinking about giving the little Hasty Bake Ranger some love. Look for pictures next week. The Ranger is so small and easy to transport I might just take it to the folks house for some Christmas dinner cooking as well. That will keep me off of their gasser...

scooter

There ya go! Perfection in steak cooking! Crusty carmelized exterior and perfect uniform pink doneness inside from edge to edge and top to bottom. Not varying stages of overdone on the edges with perfect pink in the middle.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yours look fabulous too...I just think that the reverse sear might be a tad more juicy...I also think that if it is a thin steak you must sear first....Scooter this is fun

SisInLaw

I'm liking the window on the Hasty Bake. Even with the remote thermometer it's nice to actually SEE what's going on in there.

sparky

i am a t-rexer myself. your steak looks good. got the day off because the 49er's are playing. trying to figured out what to get from the butcher. have to go wash out the gutter though. suppose to get 6"-10" of rain for the next 5 days.

Top Bottom