Glue

Big Poppa

Administrator
The idea of glue (I know you all know what glue is but for some new people i explain)is something to help bond your rub to your meats and ribs.

Many people use Frenches Mustard for ribs and butts. I am trying everything but usually use it because thats how I learned. This weekend I used some Apple Balsamic and then my rubs and then a hit of pam. I have used olive oil also

With steaks and roasts I use Annies Extra Virgin Olive oil. I think that through my videos I must have helped her sales. That is a constant.

WIth fish I use extra virgin olive oil and I actually use a lot of it. It scares people until they taste the fish..beautiful crust and moist and tender inside.

A pretty good constant is having the pam at the end just to hold it better.

What are some of your Glues or ideas about using them?

squirtthecat

I like Carolina Treet on poultry, whatever the cheapest yellow mustard I can find for briskets & butts. Store brand EVOO (can't find the Annie's EVOO around here, but I do see her salad dressings) occasionally... I used a horseradish mustard glue on the last brisket, and I think that really added some nice flavors.

TentHunter

For a thick bold coating of rub, nothing beats good ol' Cheap Yellow Mustard! For a really bold bark on beef Spicy Brown Mustard works well as a glue. So, if I want a thick coating of rub I use mustard.

Sometimes, especially for pork ribs, I want a lighter rub coating and a little less bite, so I simply use a little Apple Cider Vinegar, then apply the rub. The acid in the vinegar seems to let the flavors of the rub start penetrating the meat as soon as it hits the meat. This works great for certain flavor profiles, such as my Peach-Onion Spareribs.

I'm not a big fan of vegetable oil spray, in a skillet or as glue. There's just a taste in it I haven't liked since I was a kid.

BP, that balsamic vinegar idea peaks my interest for sure. I think I'll have to give it a try ;)!

HoDeDo

1:1 honey to mustard works well for pork products, brown or horseradish mustard works well for beef. I put an ultra thin coat on, (barely even visable) and let it penetrate the meat for 5 min or so... then coat with rub. Mustard is nice because it acutally doesnt add much if any flavor, it just acts as a vehicle to get the rub into the meat, when used in a very thin layer. If you want it in your flavor profile, coat it thicker and let it rest longer before adding rub. EVOO is always a safe bet as a binder as well.

BradT

BP suggested something to me a while back and i have used it since, better than bouillon. For one brisket ill take a heavy tablespoon of btb with about a teaspoon of water and use the paste as glue.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I like the honey mustard Thanks Andy I also use CT on ribs I totally forgot to mention that....I may try a butt with Ct and honey

sparky

whatever i have on hand. been using ct on ribs, pork butts until i run out then yellow mustard until i order more from bp / jessie. the ct on pork butt w/ honey rub and plowboys makes nice color. making ribs right now using ym and honey rub on 2 sets, hasty bake on 2 and plowboys on the other 2. i cook them bear's way. only way my wife and kids like.

Deb

usually olive oil (plain or garlic) , sometimes CT on poultry

I will have to check to see if I can find the Annie's garlic olive oil, I have seen the salad dressings here but don't remember the olive oil. I like that company because they have a vegetarian worcestershire sauce that I can use.

scooter

Started with mustard then started using worcestershire when I purchased TXBBQ rub. Now I use worcestershire with any rub that is compatible with it on ribs and brisket. Tried CT once on ribs. It turned into a vinegary semi tasteless paste on the ribs so I stay away from it. With CT I just don't get it but lots of folks like it so to each their own.
On butts I like molasses. Chicken, turkey and lamb usually gets EVOO.

CarterQ

Frenchs yellow always works, CT with plowboys is great, sometimes I like using the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Honey Spice mustard. All the Sierra Nevada mustards are awesome glues. Annie's garlic EVOO always gets the call on beef, poultry, and fish.

SisInLaw

In the kitchen I have a little pile of flavored olive oils but usually I just buy the best extra virgin I can find and toss several garlic cloves into the bottle. It's the one I use most.

txpgapro

I've never used mustard on anything. Just plain old worchestershire sauce, or Allegro. I love the hickory Allegro! I use it on ribs, butts, and briskets. I have used olive oil or Zesty Italian dressing on yardbirds.

Trooper

I will be doing prime rib for Christmas eve.
My previous beef prime rib projects have been "Bone on". Sam's Club has some nice looking choice "bone off" roasts in the 6-7 lb range, so I'll give one of those a try.
For a glue for the seasoning I use Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard.
Keep in mind that I do not care for mustard at all. (On burgers, dogs, brats, etc) So, I was very hesitant about using it. But hey, that Guldens cooking on the outside of the roast really makes for a wonderful flavored outside crust. I'll be doing it again with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Top Bottom