Prosciutto Wrapped Filets

Casey

I always loved the idea of bacon-wrapped filets, but the restaurant experience never really captured what I had in my head. More often than not, bacon that isn't fried is just kind of limp and greasy, like the kind you find wrapped around fancy steakhouse filets.

It seemed to me that the best way to combat this disappointment was to try prosciutto, just due to the fact that it's much thinner than bacon (and a similar cut off the pig) means that when put in the MAK (pecan pellets) it will cook in line with the steak, at least that's the theory.

Here's the initial set up, I doused the steaks with garlic olive oil, then a nice coat of Double Secret:
EB1417AF-D2A9-4C75-AD71-6458C97A49F7-12263-0000081973712A6F_zpsf3c42800.jpg

Next I did a reverse sear on the 2 Star, started at 225 for an hour on the indirect side then cranked the pellet boss up to max and seared on the grill grates for a few minutes (probably for too long, they came out a little too well.)
CC7F6828-0710-4CC7-BB7C-26F00908486F-12263-000008197DAA62B8_zps73b533ce.jpg

After pulling and resting for about 5-10 minutes we served them up with mashed potatoes and gravy, and mac n cheese. Not to mention the "Pink Cadillac" double Margaritas that are a specialty of mine.
37D2E8D1-8363-47BF-8CBF-685D27AFD41C-12263-0000081987EC8D8D_zps5b1ad58e.jpg

One final look at the doneness, like I said, I left them on a little too long. But that's alright, still tasted great!
1109B987-8421-4F7C-BC97-626791EED3A7-12263-0000081991716ADA_zpscd7bd779.jpg

RickB

I love prosuictto! Great on fillets but have the deli slice a little thicker than normal so it doesnt burn up. Yours looks great. I would pull fillets at about 125 and let rest 10 minutes. Nice job and the sides work just right!

Ps. My wife would scream you cant do two starches... My reply..shut up and eat! ;)

Casey

Lol, yeah, we may have gone a little overboard on having two starch sides, but sometimes you just gotta do what your gut tells you to! Any recommendations for next time?

RickB

Lol, yeah, we may have gone a little overboard on having two starch sides, but sometimes you just gotta do what your gut tells you to! Any recommendations for next time?

A couple I have cooked before are breaded deep fried green beans or a blanched and sauted asparagus with a balsamic garlic glaze. Both go well with grilled beef.

TrickyDick

Spill the beans on the drinks! I'd eat that steak in a heartbeat! I actually prefer the texture of medium cooked beef to medium-rare or rare beef, but needs to be moist still, like those look.
I hear you on the starches!
Bought a 5 pound sack of potatoes - Julie NEVER makes them or buys them, but she's out of town with her mother so I'm on my own.... I'm going crazy!

So now what's in those pink cadillac margaritas?

TD

TentHunter

I'd have no trouble eating one of them steaks either! They do look killer good, even if not medium rare.

Nothing wrong with two starches... after all you did have the Margaritas and tequila is made from agave... and that's a green veggie. Yeah, I'm going with that! ;)

Casey

So now what's in those pink cadillac margaritas?

TD

Well I'm glad you asked! I do:

1.5oz (or however much you prefer, I add to my taste) Cazadores tequila
3 oz.Trader Joe's Margarita mix
add a little fresh lime juice to freshen it up
shake
add a float of Chambord (usually half a shot glass will do it, its strong stuff)
stir and serve over ice (it makes the glass look fuller, old mixology school trick.)

That's basically it! You could just call them raspberry margaritas since that's you're using Chambord instead of Cointreau. But, I'm an Elvis man, and Pink Cadillac margarita just sounds better.

Tatonka3A2

The meal looks great but I have to admit... i did little pause when it came to the drink!! Glad to see someone asked for the recipe because I was going to be all over that too!!

Top Bottom