Tri-tip Brisket style

Our fearless leader has been out of town alot lately and away from his grill. He said he was hungry for brisket, we thought we would cook lunch for him on his birthday. Seeing that brisket usually takes about 12 hrs. it is hard timing wise to get it done for lunch. i did a little research and saw where people have cooked Tri-tip brisket style. Cook times were in the 6 hr range and eaisier to have ready at lunch time. I purchased two approx. 2 lb tri tips, put a simple rub on them and put them on the Pro at 230 deg. got the internal up to 160 deg., then foiled and finished to 190 deg. then rested.

we did brussel sprouts and sweet potatoe wedges for sides.

Sorry about the sliced meat shot, people were grabbing it as fast as I could slice it.

It turned out really good. Very flavorful. It could be a nice substitute for brisket when you don't wnat to cook so much, or don't have the time.

HTS

hank858SD

Nice looking smoke ring. The boss must be a good guy. Not sure if I would do that for my boss.

Did you leave the temp at 230 the entire cook or did it change when you wrapped ?

Hank
We are lucky to have a Boss that we like working for and with, and any excuse to cook works for me.
I cooked it at 230 deg the whole time. It was okay for the first tme trying it. It was very well recieved , but I thought it was a little dry. I may have rested it too long.

HTS

Tatonka3A2

Looks great!! We have done a few Tri Tips and they are pretty lean - no extra fat like a brisket. Maybe try injecting in next time to add some more liquid to keep it from drying out? Did you add any liquid when you foiled, that could help a little I think?

TentHunter

It wasn't the rest. It's how long it was cooked. Tritip's potential is at it's highest point between 130 and 145 IT. After that.....moisture and tenderness is going downhill.

I tend to agree with you, but I'll tell you, this brisket style of cooking a tri-tip is really starting to catch on, especially by people who like sliced brisket.

Top Bottom