Practice Rib Roast for the Holidays

Decided to practice on a choice boneless rib roast for the holidays. Normally do turkey for Christmas, so this is practice for New Years Eve or Day. Last couple have not turned out great (wife likes it more cooked than should be legal!). She was taking my daughter out tonight, so I could cook it how I like it ;). Followed Scooter's recommendations from various threads on this site.

Started with a smallish 5 lb Choice Rib Roast rubbed with Annie's EVOO, BPS LLw/P, and BPS Double Secret:

IMG_5044.jpg

Tied it up. Never tried this before, but wanted to keep it more round and saw it in Scooter's thread:

IMG_5045.jpg

Put on the MAK 2 Star at 250°F:

IMG_5047.jpg

Prepared some brussel sprouts with red onion, EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, BPS LLw/P, and BPS Desert Gold:

IMG_5057.jpg

On the MAK with the rib roast:

IMG_5058.jpg

Rib Roast done and ready for rest (color not quite as nice as Scooter's on the BPS Drum):

IMG_5062.jpg

Cranked up the MAK to 400°F to finish the sprouts:

IMG_5063.jpg

Roast done resting. Put thermapen in the roast to monitor when the push had stopped and temp started to drop (thanks Scooter for the recommendation):

IMG_5064.jpg

Sliced:

IMG_5065.jpg

Plated pic:

IMG_5067.jpg

Was the best I have cooked yet. Thanks to everyone who has shared their method on this site, because I read them all before I started today.

dnew

Nice job on the prime rib, looks to be the correct temp based on the color. Love sprouts prepared that way, fork tender still with a slight bit of resistance. I like to add fingerlings or baby reds to the sprouts also. Thanks for sharing.

MossyMO

Very nice NorCal, looks perfect!
If your wife prefers more done why not take an end cut for her and give it a few minutes on ech sidein a hot grill, everyone is happy! Wife and I have done this and the grilling does add a extra taste to the PR that is delicious!

Very nice NorCal, looks perfect!
If your wife prefers more done why not take an end cut for her and give it a few minutes on ech sidein a hot grill, everyone is happy! Wife and I have done this and the grilling does add a extra taste to the PR that is delicious!

Thanks for the idea MossyMO. I will try that when I try again over New Years.

TentHunter

I am so sorry you had to endure such hardship and sacrifice by being forced to eat a "practice run" rib roast. You know, if you'd have called me, I would have gladly come over and taken one for the team to test it for you! ;)

It looks great!

Ffvillager

Great job. Looks really good. How long did it take? Was it at 250 for the whole time or did you sear it at the beginning or reverse sear it?
Trying to get some approx times because I have 2 five bone, bone cut off then tied back on, that I will be doing for CHRISTMAS. Have about 23 people and will be doing slightly different rubs for each one.

Great job. Looks really good. How long did it take? Was it at 250 for the whole time or did you sear it at the beginning or reverse sear it?
Trying to get some approx times because I have 2 five bone, bone cut off then tied back on, that I will be doing for CHRISTMAS. Have about 23 people and will be doing slightly different rubs for each one.

Cooked at 250 the entire time, no sear or reverse sear. Watched temp more than time, but it was probably about 3.5 hrs, but then rested for approximately 45-60 min. Two threads that were extremely helpful we're:

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-central-14/thoughts-mak-setup-prime-rib-5763/

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/prime-rib-what-temp-how-long-6771/

These two threads should give the information you need to cook a geat rib roast for Christmas!

Top Bottom