XMAS 2013 MAK Smoked Prime Rib

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Ive done a few of these prime rib posts but this is a good one.
Preheat the MAK to 250 LOw is great for even cooking and it has the added benefit of a very small residual carry over cook on...WHich is important with these rib roasts

Smear with Balsamic Reduction You don t have to I just like it.
I then went back to a classic BPS Rub Double Secret Steak Rub
IMG_1372.jpg

I usually have a upper rack to cook with but just put it on a roast rack
IMG_1376.jpg

flipped at 105 pulled it off at 127
IMG_3198.jpg

The bark is so critical on these....most sear to get it....even when they are smoking. I never ever sear a pellet smoked rib roast, especially a MAK one The bark you get from the smoke and rub and meat juices is perfect.....why burn it off? You already have fabulous color...just great flavor too
ALWAYS REST YOUR ROAST FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES
IMG_1378.jpg

One half
IMG_1379.jpg

My other tip I always beat on everybody is to presentation carve/serve. There is nothing worse that cutting the whole roast and then letting the slices sit and dry out and get cold....also by presentation carving you can portion control better and you can give people a better choice of doneness
IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

TrickyDick

That looks gorgeous Big Poppa! I'm sure it was equally tasty!
I cooked a 5 bone, bone-in rib roast, no flip, on the 4 star about 3 inches up on rack (250º + smoke from alt firepot w/ cherry pellets) with a shallow pan below to catch the grease and drippings. Started at 12:00 (cold grill) and finished at 4:30. I pulled mine at IT 118ºF. Last year I pulled at 120º. Both roasts I has lots of carry over. This year I had 18 degrees push, loosely tented on cutting board, rested for an hour! Finished at 136º, higher than I was shooting for, but still very juicy and tender. I waited for the thermometer probe to stop rising before I sliced. I still had juice, but not a ton, that ran into the trough on the board. Last year I had 13º carry over on my roast, but I suspect had more to give and I carved a bit early "thanks" to pressure from the father in-law. I think bone-in roasts will probably have more carry over than non-bone in. I thought 18º was crazy.
Happy Holidays.
TD

BP, great looking prime rib!
Question though...do you attribute your great bark to the balsamic glaze, or the rub (in addition to the smoke of course)? The pictures I posted of my rib roast last week show a much lighter color on the bark. I cooked at same temp and cooked to higher IT than you. Is EVOO a no no for great bark or did I not use enough double secret? I also cooked on top rack and did not flip. Any thoughts on what I need to do differently?

Yambor44

That looks perfect BP! It appears you do not have the covers over the sear grate is this correct? Would you use the same heat setting if you were using the upper rack you mentioned?

hank858SD

Does the Balsamic mater ? Is a higher quality $$$ better over the standard market "Pompeian" for reduction ?

Big Poppa

Administrator
ok for glue the balsamic is not as critical but this is a whole other subject...You sort of can go nuts with balsamic but always to try to get the next one up from the one you are looking at and you will definately notice a difference...
On the bark it helps...I also dont use olive oil as a glue very often.....I want the spices to be in the closest contact with the meat and oil can be a barrier

Spey Rod

Looks great!

Question, your roast looks bigger than mine. I will be cooking a 7.5lb bone in roast for NY eve. We would like to plan for a 3pm meal. How many hours on the MAK at 250 should I plan for? Thanks for the help.

Happy new year!

scooter

BP, what are those pancakes made of? I now glaze all beef (roasts and steaks) with the whiskey balsamic glaze you sell. It is very special.

AND CONGRATS ON YOUR GC AT LAKE ELSINORE TODAY!!!!! GREAT WAY TO START THE 2014 SEASON!! :)

Top Bottom