Anyone tried the Smokin Guns Rubs?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I am sort of in love with the Sweet Hot and the Hot...but the Gunpowder is off the charts!
We are using the hot on our comp briskets with some gunpowder at the end. The gunpowder is a finishing rub and has a crazy good flavor profile....

Im doing some meat today with some Butchers Honey on the base and Smoking Guns Hot on the top...Then I will hit it with gunpowder....

Makes a great little stocking stuffer....I'm just sayin1

ACW3

I learned about Smokin Guns Hot from Rod Gray at his cooking class last May. I bought extra and have used it quite often. I used it to flavor 9 dozen MOINKS that I made for our Christmas party last night. I smoked them for 5 hours. They were really a big hit.

Art

Note to self: Double the numbers of MOINKS next time!

Ricker

Smokin Guns hot for me as well. Have tried the sweet heat and it is OK but prefer the hot. Have also cut Smokin Guns hot with some turbinado suger and it was pretty darn good on the last batch of ribs I cooked. Did not know about the powder until I saw it on your web site. Hey BP, at which point do you apply the powder? Is it just an enhancer to the hot and what difference does it make?

HoDeDo

I love Smokin Guns Hot, and the "gun powder". The Gun powder works great in place of baby powder to when you are gettin out of the shower too.. lol ;)

scooter

I've tried the hot on brisket which was pretty good. It has MSG in it so I won't be a repeat buyer. To many good rubs out there without MSG in them.

ACW3

While I haven't seen it, there is supposed to be a product called Gun Powder, which is a variation of the Smokin Guns Hot Rub. You can make your own by simply running some Smokin Guns through a spice blender. Be careful, it will be a "fine dust" and if you happen to inhale some, count on sneezing. The "gun powder" can be used to finish some presentation ribs, or whatever. You don't need much, just enough to cover any small mistakes such as finger prints.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
Art I talk about that in the beginning of the text it taste a little different than the hot Scooter the hot has msg the sweet heat and gunpowder doesnt

scooter

I've purchased many, many commercially available rubs and the ones that add it to their rub, and list it in the ingredients list part of their label, are few in my experience anyway as I pay attention to MSG in rubs.
The ones that add it to their rub and exclude it from their label, could be a higher number. They could be unknowingly adding it to their rub through an ingredient that doesn't list it. Lots of possibilities.

TentHunter

I don't want to get so far off subject, so suffice it to say that because of my Sulfa (sulfites) & L-Glutamate allergies, I HAVE to avoid MSG which is simply a free form glutamic acid (L-Glutamate) bound to sodium chloride, hence the Mono-Sodium Glutamate (makes sense right?).

A big trend in the food industry is to replace "MSG" with Autolyzed Yeast (extract), which is simply another form of L-Glutamate. Its added for the same purpose & has the same effect to people who are allergic/sensitive to it.

PLEASE don't take my word as gospel! There's a lot of info out there on this whole subject. If you're someone who is sensitive to this stuff educate yourself.

Edit: One of the great things I love about BigPoppaSmokers website is that they list the ingredients for the products they sell, so I know if its safe for me to consume! I can safely use Smokin' Guns Gun Powder & Sweet Heat I'm planning to try some and some of the pepper jellies soon!

Last edited:

Jessie

Edit: One of the great things I love about BigPoppaSmokers website is that they list the ingredients for the products they sell, so I know if its safe for me to consume! I can safely use Smokin' Guns Gun Powder & Sweet Heat I'm planning to try some and some of the pepper jellies soon!

Thanks Tent :) It can take a long time for me to type out those ingredients... sometimes I feel like I'm going cross-eyed!

Good to know that people are reading the ingredients lists (I know I do with everything I buy).

Deb

Thanks Tent :) It can take a long time for me to type out those ingredients... sometimes I feel like I'm going cross-eyed!

Good to know that people are reading the ingredients lists (I know I do with everything I buy).

Jessie - I appreciate this too! I have food allergies & it is very helpful.

sparky

what tent said. i have to afford salt (stroke survivor). so i try not to use anything that starts off with salt as its first ingredient. if it is that 3 or 4 ingredient it ok.

Top Bottom