Well it was a lazy day here so had to find something to do

100_3894.jpg

100_3896.jpg

100_3899.jpg

100_3897.jpg

Smoked some almonds, sliced up some made SS, sliced up some Ham

LTS

SmokinMAK

Come on LTS - You know the rules. You gotta give us specifics. What type of smoke, temp of the pit when smoking, length of smoke time? ;)

I have been eating a lot of almonds lately and have been seriously considering putting the cold smoker on my MAK to good use!

LTS

Come on LTS - You know the rules. You gotta give us specifics. What type of smoke, temp of the pit when smoking, length of smoke time? ;)

I have been eating a lot of almonds lately and have been seriously considering putting the cold smoker on my MAK to good use!

Ingredients:

* 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 Tbsp finely ground kosher or sea salt
* 2 tsp chile powder
* 1 tsp ground black pepper
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1 pound almonds

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. The recipe I have calls for placing all dry ingredients in a spice or coffee mill and grind them as fine as possible to make them adhere better to the nuts.
* I used an electric coffee bean grinder which worked well to powderize the dry ingredients.
3. Pour ground spices into a large bowl, and combine with oil. Mix well and set aside.
4. I don't have the fancy mesh grates for my OBS so I just covered the original grates with foil and poked lots of holes with a corn cob holder. I did this to two trays and loaded them up with 12 ounces of almonds a piece.
5. Into the OBS they went, using my cold smoking box set-up. I cold smoked them around 80-90 degrees F for 2 hours with 6 hickory bisquettes.
6. Out of the smoker after a 2 hour cold smoke and into a bowl with the spice mix. Mix well so that the almonds are evenly coated.
7. Spread them on a baking sheet, place in oven, and roast for 10-15 minutes, stirring several times. Remove from oven, taste and add additional salt/seasoning if needed.
8. After cooling, store the almonds in an airtight container.

Note:

Recipe is for 1 pound of almonds I used 24 oz. because they were sold in 12 oz. packages at the market. I actually would not have minded a little more kick but my wife does not share my love of spicy and she thought they were perfect.

I used Hickory smoke

Top Bottom