Lets hear about appetizers!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Smoked apies are the best....

I love the standards...ABT's Armadillo Eggs Pig Candy..

I really love smoking different cheeses in the mak warming drawer...not a cold smoke buy one where the cheese takes on the smoke and then melts a little!

jimsbarbecue

I am sure I have mentioned it before. Ours is Baby Back Ribs. They are small like a appetizers should be. We use a spicy profile when doing them. Instead of buffalo wings they are like pork wings.I think they go over well as none seem to remain.

CarterQ

Lamb Pops are always a hit, basically take lamb and cut it into 2 x 1 inch strips. Season em up with salt, black pepper, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon. Skewer em and either grill it or smoke it. Easy and tasty.

squirtthecat

Over on the Bradley forum, someone had mentioned a favorite appetizer called a 'grenade'. (they look like miniature bacon-wrapped hand grenades) I'll find the details and a pic. He had fixed them on his Traeger...

txpgapro

I'm in Tulsa. Cold about 50 for the high. And it's 85 and calm at home is Texas. I should be there playing golf. Apps could be a new years eve cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky

drunken shrimp. take a margarita on the rocks and put into a ziploc with raw shrimp from costco, lime juice and zest and salt. let sit until you have 2 more margaritas. throw on grill on high (grill grates) for 2 minutes a side or so. ummmm.....makes everyone happy.

TentHunter

Lamb Pops are always a hit...

Those sound scrumptious. I am gonna have to get some lamb and try them!

We do a twist on Armadillo eggs I like to call Heat & Sweet Armadillo Eggs. We use jalapenos AND sweet peppers; either Bells or the mini-sweets you can now get at most markets. Cut them in half (or sections for bell peppers) fill with a mix of sharp cheddar & cream cheese, top with sausage, hit with some rub or brush on BBQ sauce (or both) and smoke for low & slow for 45 min. - 1 hour until sausage is done and peppers are soft.

These always seem to disappear at cookouts & parties.
Poppers1s.JPG

Another super easy appetizer is take some of the Chunk Imitation Crab Meat, wrap in a small strip of bacon skewer with a toothpick and smoke for about 30 min. or so until the bacon is done. Brush with a little herb butter or lemon butter and serve. Very easy and good.

This can also be done with pre-cooked shrimp.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Its funny you mention grenades...I decided to bacon wrap armadillo eggs and was calling them Bacon Grenades....I thought I was a genius....Thanks for letting me down gently Il post pics later tonight and see if they are close

Carter13

I am sure I have mentioned it before. Ours is Baby Back Ribs. They are small like a appetizers should be. We use a spicy profile when doing them. Instead of buffalo wings they are like pork wings.I think they go over well as none seem to remain.

Jim,
Could you please elaborate your steps to get the spicy profile?
Thanks.

jimsbarbecue

The song is funny. The ribs I would use a spicy rub Like Smokin Guns Hot which isn't to hot or the Slabs perk up your pork. When they are going in the foil Texas Rib Candy with either Splenda or brown sugar. Sauce would be Pepper Plant , the Slabs or Head Country. Then near the end trim of some ends and taste if they need some heat . Use gunpowder (Smokin guns) or another quick brush of Texas Candy.I look for a sweet heat .

squirtthecat

BP, I can't find the 'grenade' post right at the moment, but they were essentially pork tenderloins cut into 1" pieces. Cut a pocket in the side and stuff with some pickled jalapeno slices, frozen shrimp (apparently it helps to keep the IT down so they cook evenly) and some shredded cheese. Wrap tight in bacon and toss on the smoker. Glaze towards the end.. It sounded interesting.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I posted these in a separate thread but here you go again Bacon Grenades...Basically Armadillo eggs wrapped in bacon and two stage run Butchers Honey and Smokin Guns Hot.
P1000319.jpg

P1000322.jpg

P1000323.jpg

P1000328.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000331.jpg

txpgapro

Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind. Spritz with EVOO and shake Texas BBQ Rub Grillin' Seasoning all over it. Smoke until crisp.
4728ee8d-cbd9-8f11.jpg
4728ee8d-cbf9-ecd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom