Smokehouse Bologna

nepas

Got 15 pounds of bologna smoking in the pellet fired smokehouse.

Got 5 pounds of pork.
DSC01121.jpg

Ground and going to cut in with 10 pounds of GB
DSC01122.jpg

Cure #1 added and mixed with 1 1/2 cup distilled water
DSC01124.jpg

Ready for mixing
DSC01127.jpg

Hanging at room temp for a couple hours
DSC01128.jpg

Got the smoke rolling
DSC01131.jpg

Getting happy
DSC01130.jpg

ACW3

Those look really good. Something else to try in early January. I am at my sister-in-laws house right now and she just sewed up 31 muslin casings for me (3" diameter and 18" long). I will owe her a bunch of summer sausage for her helping me out.

Will those muslin casings work okay for bologna or summer sausage? I would think they would. Or is the bologna ground really fine in a food processor and be too "wet" to properly stuff into these casings? Enquiring minds want to know.

Art

nepas

Those look really good. Something else to try in early January. I am at my sister-in-laws house right now and she just sewed up 31 muslin casings for me (3" diameter and 18" long). I will owe her a bunch of summer sausage for her helping me out.

Will those muslin casings work okay for bologna or summer sausage? I would think they would. Or is the bologna ground really fine in a food processor and be too "wet" to properly stuff into these casings? Enquiring minds want to know.

Art

They will work good on either SS or Bologna. Stuff and let them hang at room temp for around an hour. lets the moisture run off some.

TentHunter

I am at my sister-in-laws house right now and she just sewed up 31 muslin casings for me (3" diameter and 18" long). I will owe her a bunch of summer sausage for her helping me out... Will those muslin casings work okay for bologna or summer sausage?

I am loving the unbleached muslin casings. I couldn't believe how economical they were for my wife to make AND it gives the sausage an rustic "old world" look which I really love. Great smoke penetration too!

I have 20 lbs of Summer Sausage in the smoker right now mostly in 1 1/2" diameter muslin casings. When done I'll cut those into about 9" sections for gifts.

nepas

I am loving the unbleached muslin casings. I couldn't believe how economical they were for my wife to make AND it gives the sausage an rustic "old world" look which I really love. Great smoke penetration too!

I have 20 lbs of Summer Sausage in the smoker right now mostly in 1 1/2" diameter muslin casings. When done I'll cut those into about 9" sections for gifts.

Soak em in liquid smoke water before stuffing.

Blooming now.

Kinda disappointed in this batch. Not that they are bad, Its the casings i got a while back from the SM. No matter how tight i twist the ring end and even double ring, The end always loosens which results in the end wrinkling. I just dumped 25 new casings in the round file.

DSC01133.jpg

nepas

Is that more for coloring or for smell/flavor?

Ironically, this past weekend I finally found a brand of liquid smoke that I can safely use (no hydrolyzed veggie proteins).

Does all 3. A trick i learned from my amish friend when they take smoked meats to the farmers mkt.

nepas

Today is cut, taste and seal day for the bologna

Like stated before, I really dont like these SM casings.
DSC01138.jpg

Turned out really good.
DSC01140.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

Sealed and ready for FT BRAGG
DSC01143.jpg

See, sausage aint that hard to do.

Got goose jerky going to.

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

And some cheese.

DSC01145.jpg