Can't decide on which pellet grill. Can anyone help?

SmokinMAK

Well TomD, you have come to the right place. Expect lots of people to weigh-in on this. if you decide on MAK or Memphis - the site's host, Big Poppa will take care of you.

Questions you need to answer:

What type of cooking do you plan on doing most (low and slow, high-heat grilling, both)?
What is your budget for a new smoker?
How much cooking area do you require?

The MAK and Memphis are both American made so if that is important to you, bear that in mind. The Traegers have offshored their builds to China. Each manufacturer has multiple models to choose from depending on budget and desired capabilities.

Good luck with your decision. Which ever way you go - you will have joined the world of pellet cooking, and you will never look back again!

LTS

I have the Pro in SS and could not be happier with it, personal opinion I think the MAC does put out more smoke than the PRO but both are excellent grills

LTS

jmeitz

I have my opinions but if those are your only choices i would say go with the MAK 1 star as its suppose to be a pretty good smoker and gets hot quickly.

Big Poppa

Administrator
really there are many great choices....depends on what your primary use is....How about telling us your ideas of what you want out of a grill/smoker and we can give you better direction. Your chioces are MAK Memphis Yoder Traeger GMG Woodmaster or Fast Eddy.

These threads work fine as long as we stick to the discussion of the grills and not the vendor on manufacturer unless its bob or bob!

Also do a search as there are many threads already. Thanks

jimsbarbecue

What is your budget? Pits fall into different price point. If your under $1000 it limits your choices.If it is $1500 or less you can now get a nice MAK or Memphis pit. Higher you can get a top shelf style pit. The Memphis Pro is known for its higher heat and double wall construction. The MAK which we own so a little bias here is a MAKgyver. It does a little of everything and the options like the flame zone ,warming drawer,MAK Griddle, Searing grate and items coming like the MAK remote and the other projects Bob is busy at is why we like it. The food can't read the brand of the grill. If your cooking chicken breast at 400 degrees heat is heat.I was involved in some pellet testing where we cooked food on a Traeger a MAK a Memphis pro a Country Smoker and a Gas grill. The food of the gas grill everyone knew. The others all did fine cooking the same food at the same temp.

scooter

Look at the design, look at the quality of construction materials, look at functionality, look at innovative features and look for a remote control! Decide how much money you can afford to spend on your pit and get the pit you don't think you can afford. It will save you money in the long run.

CarterQ

Scooter hit the nail on the head. I was in the same boat as you, I decided on a MAK for all of the reasons above. Options and quality are key, once you get going pellet cooking two things will happen,1) your creative juices will flow and you'll be thinking of all kinds of crazy things to cook. 2) this will happen nearly everyday! Good luck

Top Bottom