Favorite Cooking Temps for Prime Rib

Big Poppa

Administrator
250...seriously...let it ride to about 128 tent with foil and put a kitchen towel over it and rest for awhile If you need it ore medium pull it at 132

scooter

Pull from fridge and set on counter for 45 mins, put it cooker in at 225F and pull when it gets to 140 IT, tent and rest for 1 hour. Slice.

Will look something like this. Medium to medium rare. 6lb roast will take about 3.5 hours.
primecut.jpg

Last edited:

SmokinMAK

Doing one today (always behind the rest of the gang I guess). Any thoughts on time to pull if you are going to sear before serving? I've read pull at 120 and let rest, then in at high temp for 10-15 minutes to firm-up the bark. Does that sound right?

txpgapro

Smoke with hickory or mesquite at 225* for about 4 hours. I never wrap my boneless roast. But do let it sit for
for 30 minutes prior to slicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Poppa

Administrator
great J dog. No pics no beef. Get a photobucket account and then we will show you how to post! Was it better than your father in laws thanksgiving turkey? Here is a photo of it in case any of you missed it.
IMG_0501-1.jpg

scooter

Here's the outcome from yesterday. Pulled from fridge and set on counter for 45 mins, I put it the General at 225F left it there the whole cook. I pulled it at 140 IT, foil tented on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet and rested for 1 hour. The IT pushed up only 3 degrees to 143IT then began to fall which took about 40 mins to get to the temp drop stage. To preserve the IT I FTC'd it until right before dinner (about an hour from this point in time).
Right before seating everyone I took the roast out to my rocket sear machine (modified weber 22 kettle with charcoal less than an inch from the cooking grate). Rolled the roast around over the red hot coals to get crisp outer crust which took about 30 seconds per side. I had gloves on and just held it in place by the bones and rotated over the coals.
Sizzling dark and crusty on the outside, warm and medium rare on the inside! Carved it right at the table. Can't argue that color BP!! And my probes are calibrated and accurate! :)
I think the cooling rack over the cookie sheet contributed to the lesser push I got with this roast. I usually see a 5-10F degree push with a roast this big and to only get 3F was surprising.
PS: Your asparagus recipe (In BP video gallery) was great!

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

I wouldn't use a rub with MSG on the label for family cooking. Competition would be a different subject. No, The Rub Co doesn't add MSG into any of their rubs I've purchased.

scooter

Have only judged so far but for 2011 I've been invited to be a part of an established team so will be competing on a team this year. Won't be "my" team but will be competing on a team non the less. Looking forward to it.

Trooper

My 7 lb. rib-eye roast went like this.
Overnight in the frig with a marinating sauce on it.
1:30 PM Roast went into a 400f preheated MAK.
2:10 pm recuced heat to 250f CookinPellets PerfectMix
2:30 PM IT 70f (1 hour)
3:30 PM IT 102f (2 hour)
4:30 PM IT 127f (3 hour)
5:00 PM IT 135f (3.5 hour)
Exactly 3 1/2 hours in MAK
Rested for 1 hour
Very good reviews.

Top Bottom