What did ya'll get for Xmas?

sparky

i got a new timex watch with big dial so i can see it without my glasses on, big bob gibson cookbook, $300 gift certificate to Orangevale Meat Shoppe, some nice stainless steel bbq tongs and spatula, 49er's license frame and i bought myself a new memphis pro ss. not a bad Xmas for sparky. :cool:

Deb

it's probably the first year ever that I got absolutely nothing cooking/smoking related

but I did get what every girl wants: shoes (paddle boots for kayaking) and a skirt (for my rec kayak)

and my best present wasn't even on my xmas list ..... I got a new little kayak so I can go hit the river...

Big Poppa

Administrator
I got a stainless steel foil box! a shop vac for my smokers, clothes and a watch I can see the dial. IT was a fabulous day but on to 2011!

jimsbarbecue

Stainless foil box are cool. I have one for the 18 inch rolls. I got a LEM #8 meat grinder. Getting everything together for sausage making! But a new Memphis takes the Cake!

Rip

Sparky, Congrats on new grill! I'm looking forward to your signature changing....

I got a new Bright Line flight bag for all my pilot stuff, very cool...
and
I SMOKED MY FIRST PELLET COOKED MEAL!!! Details posted in the Gallery.

Rip

Bear

Thermapen, 2 Pampered Chef spatulas, an assortment of hot sauces, and a $25 BPS gift certificate.

scooter

Harry Soo's BBQ class on Jan 8th.
1 year extension on my National BBQ News.
$105 gift certificate to Green Leaf Gourmet BBQ shop
Hancock and Roadhouse DVD's

Forgot to add: 22.5" cast iron grate for the weber kettle to enhance my rocket searing capabilities!! :)

Last edited:

ACW3

An Orange Thermapen, (pretty close to my wife's UT school colors and really smokin' fast), the Apex knife sharpening system (which I opened early to be able to have at least one sharp knife for Christmas dinner), the Rytak Kutas sausage book, more sausage casings, and a boxed set of Pig Tail Flippers. All good things to feed my "habit". Also I had a great time with my grandson and his parents. This Christmas was special.

Art

danl

I got a superfast black thermapen, but that was nothing compared to watching my grandchildren opening their presents.

MikeB

Xmas Gifts

Didn't ask for much this year with the economy so poor and my kids are poorer. Did get a new book from my favorite author David Baldacci "Hell's Corner", Famous British Columbia Salmon Rub with two Western Ceder Planks. Bring on the Salmon.
Also a BBQ book 25 Essentials Techniques for Smoking by Ardie A. Davis and a bottle of A&W BBQ Sauce. Both from The Bass Pro Shop.

More importantly I spent the whole day with my 2 daughters, my 15 mo. old grandson (his first real Christmas) and the in-laws family at their house. It was a great day for all.

SisInLaw

Big Poppa gave me a wonderful Global carving knife, a bunch of Smoking Guns rubs, Big Poppa rubs and several interesting marinades for chicken and fish. Also he and my sister provided huge Strube Ranch sirloins for us all to enjoy. The funny part is he got furious when he discovered I'd thrown away the Global's packaging. I guess you're supposed to keep it in the box.

Anyway, I found the box and the knife is resting snug as a Christmas bug in my drawer INSIDE the original case, so there.

jimsbarbecue

Big Poppa gave me a wonderful Global carving knife, a bunch of Smoking Guns rubs, Big Poppa rubs and several interesting marinades for chicken and fish. Also he and my sister provided huge Strube Ranch sirloins for us all to enjoy. The funny part is he got furious when he discovered I'd thrown away the Global's packaging. I guess you're supposed to keep it in the box.

Anyway, I found the box and the knife is resting snug as a Christmas bug in my drawer INSIDE the original case, so there.

We throw away the box our shuns come in. The boxes are nice

scooter

You will like Harry Soo's class.

When did you go Jim? Does he really show how he did his Santa Maria cookoff winning tritip?? To walk into that region and whip all the locals at their own game is really accomplishing something. Would LOVE to know how he did it!
Hopefully it won't rain that day.

jimsbarbecue

I went late in the summer. He shows you all kinds of things. I think Harry is one of those people who feels he can show you everything he does but head to head is confident he can best you. The one thing I learned is he is very well prepared and you would need your A game to compete against him. It is non stop the whole day with no promotion of any kind. He cooked everthing including the Tri Tip. You leave with a handout that has all his rules -tips and recipes.What is impressive is he gives all this information out and just ask as a gentlemens agreement to not duplicate or share with others as it is what you leave with for your money.He will aslo help any class member with questions they may have after the class.Honestly most would get $500 for what he covers. One example is he shows how he trims chicken thighs and the skin and then has the tools and chicken for everyone in the class to do one to make sure you understand the way he just taught you.

TentHunter

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I got a few things to keep my smoking addiction going strong!

My Mother in law got me a new digital camera for taking pics of my cooks, along with a nifty tripod that can be used on a table for those close-up macro shots of food.

My Daughter got me a really nice sturdy LED grill light that is both magnetic and can clamp onto stuff. I used it the other night and it lights up the grill very nicely.

My wife got me a new Weber Performer series Kettle grill. This thing is suppose to be the cat's meow in kettle grills and it wasn't cheap ($349). But she knows how much I love cooking and smoking on my kettle, and I do... I really do! :)

No worries, we're still planning to get a Mak or Memphis within a couple months. She'd already gotten the Weber for me before this forum had even started. Besides, she's sold on the idea of a pellet grill so she can get in on the fun!

Top Bottom