Norwegian Meatballs

CarterQ

A Christmas tradition in our house that came from my Mom's side has been Norwegian meatballs for Christmas Eve dinner. Mom used to make these but she no longer can cook so I have picked up the torch and run with it. Usually these are done inside but this year I decided to take em outside.

Here we go:

Start off with pork and veal

ec170e82.jpg

Hit them with the grinder

7f4d5c78.jpg

All ground up

2d01c01d.jpg

Eggs, bread crumbs, onions, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, salt, pepper and some milk

578804b6.jpg

Mix it all together

b8006d1a.jpg

Shape into 1" meatballs

5770d8f4.jpg

CarterQ

Norwegian Meatballs cont

Onto the MAK @300 for about an hour

088fe722.jpg

Ready to go

0067f9d6.jpg

27263a5b.jpg

Made some brown gravy with heavy cream while the meatballs were cooking, place the meatballs in the gravy and simmer for about 30 minutes

fd7942a4.jpg

Ready to serve

9570f53e.jpg

Put meatballs and gravy on a bed of mashed potatoes, salad, and some buttered Lefse (Norwegian potato tortillas) and we are good to go

e2dd307c.jpg

834cc7af.jpg

These came out great and tasted wonderful, Who knows what Grandma Olson would say about them being done on a smoker, but this will be the new way they are done going forward.

CarterQ

Sure Deb-

6 cups riced or mashed russet potatoes (I prefer the riced but mashed is easier)
1 tsp. salt
3 T. butter
1 T. sugar
2 T. heavy cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Important! Allow ample time for the chilling step.

Cover potatoes with water and cook until tender.

Run hot potatoes through a potato ricer or mash. Place into a large bowl.

Beat butter, cream, salt, and sugar into the hot riced / mashed potatoes. Chill until cold.

Stir flour into the potato mixture.

Pull off pieces of the dough and form into walnut size balls.

Lightly flour a pastry cloth or hard surface and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness.

Bake on ungreased griddle (400 degrees) or lefse iron until brown spots appear. Turn and bake other side.

Stack lefse between 2 towels to cool.

Store in refrigerator in plastic bags or they can be frozen.

Top Bottom