My First Pellet Smoke - Spatchcocked Turkey

Rip

Hi All,

Thursday night I finally got a chance to assemble my new LilTex but did not get time Friday to season it. Probably just as well, my brain was on gridlock re. what to do for my first smoke. I was clearly suffering from PelletSmoking.com information overload (what a wealth!)...Then I found BP's "Stupid Turkey" recipe. Even though the Christmas day menu was set (spiral cut ham), I knew we had a turkey in the freezer.

Right after the morning present opening, I broomed the new snow off the deck and moved LilTex from the "Harley Garage" to its new home and started the seasoning process. I know the grill was empty, but with ambient temps in the mid twentys, I was suprised to see it settle in around 450 degrees.

View attachment 212

Next I prepped the bird. With a little research I went from someone who just heard of spatchcocking to someone who was ready to perform one....does anyone ever forget their first Spatchcock? Next up was to brush on some garlic olive oil and sprinkle on homemade seasonings.

View attachment 213

After a cool off and application of heavy duty foil, the grill was reheated to 250 and the bird cooked to IT 165. See pic below, sorry about the knife cuts...as a first timer, I used trust, but verify to ensure it was really done. Note: I employed the Mimosa variant of the Sparky timer to determine the appropriate carving time.

View attachment 211

The result was the moistest Turkey we've had! I'm looking forward to improving my technique (after digesting more info from this forum, pun intended).

Many thanks to all who contribute to this group!

Rip

CarterQ

Congrats, looks like you're well on your way to having that Lil Tex figured out. Spatchcocking turkey and chickens is the only way to cook them. You'll get some funny looks from guests but that quickly turns to smiles when they taste the moist goodness.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Rip I dont know what is better your cook or your story line! Trust your thermometer! Welcome and keep on posting! Post this in this weeks contest too....

Top Bottom