Anyone want to talk Dutch Ovens?

TTNuge

Got a nice cast iron dutch oven from my In-Laws for Christmas and I'm looking for tips, tricks, hints, and recipes for this thing. Would love to use it in my MAK but am also interested in using traditionally with charcoal below and on the lid as well.

I seen em, heard people talk about em, and they look interesting but I've never used one so tell me what ya know.

Thanks,

Trent

CarterQ

I have 2 cast iron ovens with legs that I inherited from my Dad, haven't used them recently. The few times I have used them has been with campfire coals and or buried, haven't tried anything with them on the MAK yet.

My Dad used to do a Park Service Dutch Oven cooking program for the campers staying at Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon National park, basic stews, breads, and desserts. Also used to cook on back country horseback trips for the park service so I have some recipes and a few cookbooks. More camping oriented but I think most Dutch Oven stuff is. Definitely something I keep telling myself I need to explore and play with some more.

Last edited:

Trooper

TTNuge,

Erg leuk om cadeau. U zal waarschijnlijk vinden veel mooie ideeën koken
op het internet.

Dutch Trooper

TentHunter

Dutch ovens are great! Not just for camping but for the grill as well. We have two of them. Keep them seasoned and they last a lifetime... or two!

One thing that a lot of folks might not realize is the lids for most dutch ovens can be flipped over set down in some hot coals and used as a skillet.

Here's an easy desert recipe that a friend showed me years ago. The family loves it. Dump a bag of frozen berries into the dutch oven, add some sugar just a bit of water and warm up a bit. While the berry mix is warming, open a small box of cake or muffin mix and mix according to directions and pour over top the berries. Put the lid on, set the oven on top of some coals and heap some coals on top of the lid and bake for 15 - 20 minutes (or until cake is done). Spoon into some bowls and dig in!

Pie filling also works well & the small boxes of Jiffy mixes are cheap and work well.

Of course, as always this can be done in a pellet grill too, just without the lid.

scooter

There is a whole culture of folks that revolves around dutch ovens! A true American frontier style of cooking along with BBQ. I attended a CBBQA BBQ University class earlier this year that included in the class a course of dutch oven cooking. What a great class it was. Leonard Sanders, who’s the chef/owner of the Chuckwagon BBQ Company, presented the dutch oven portion of the class. We gathered in his campsite where he had numerous Dutch Ovens going in a chuckwagon style setup with an open fire going on the ground with a Dutch Oven hanging over it. He gave us an overview of their history and manufacture and then showed us how to use them by cooking fresh bisquits with butter, chili with corn bread batter mixed into the chili, peach cobbler and even a pizza!

SisInLaw

Dutch ovens are great! Not just for camping but for the grill as well. We have two of them. Keep them seasoned and they last a lifetime... or two!

One thing that a lot of folks might not realize is the lids for most dutch ovens can be flipped over set down in some hot coals and used as a skillet.

Here's an easy desert recipe that a friend showed me years ago. The family loves it. Dump a bag of frozen berries into the dutch oven, add some sugar just a bit of water and warm up a bit. While the berry mix is warming, open a small box of cake or muffin mix and mix according to directions and pour over top the berries. Put the lid on, set the oven on top of some coals and heap some coals on top of the lid and bake for 15 - 20 minutes (or until cake is done). Spoon into some bowls and dig in!

Pie filling also works well & the small boxes of Jiffy mixes are cheap and work well.

Of course, as always this can be done in a pellet grill too, just without the lid.

Your recipe looks like a variation of the old "dump cake" we've been making to rave reviews for over thirty years. It's always yummy and you really CAN NOT mess it up.

TentHunter

Your recipe looks like a variation of the old "dump cake" we've been making to rave reviews for over thirty years. It's always yummy and you really CAN NOT mess it up.

Oh thanks a bunch SisInLaw (I didn't even think to include the name)! Yes, Dump Cake is what my friend from North Carolina called it too. He must have shown me that at a camp out, gosh, almost 18 years ago. My how time flies by. Every time I eat it I think of him and all the good times!

Good food, good memories :)!

Top Bottom