Tri tip, anyone?

sptucker

OK, I promise these are the last pics I will post for awhile. Don't want to wear out my welcome! Plus, I'm back at work this week so the daily MAK fun will be stopping...

Wanted to try reverse-searing some nice tri-tips from Costco using my shiny new MAK searing grate. Here are the results. I have to say this was the best tri-tip I ever made, and I have made many, many tri-tips! The ideal hint of smoke flavor and medium rare, fork-tender perfection. I am at a loss for words. The MAK is pure magic.

TentHunter

OK, I promise these are the last pics I will post for awhile. Don't want to wear out my welcome!

First off, KEEP THE PICS COMING!

Second, KEEP THE PICS COMING!!

Third, I love trip tip cut thick like that. Nice job!

Fourth, KEEP THE PICS COMING!!! ;)

So Cal Smoker

Excellent TT Paul, beautiful color and the sear looks perfect. Could you share your cooking temp and IT temp when you reverse seared along with the finished temp. We all learn from shearing. Also, what times dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

sptucker

Excellent TT Paul, beautiful color and the sear looks perfect. Could you share your cooking temp and IT temp when you reverse seared along with the finished temp. We all learn from shearing. Also, what times dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Here's what I did:
Took bigger Flame Zone cover off of left side and replaced regular grate on that side with searing grate. I left the smaller Flame Zone cover and regular grate in place on the right side.
SetPoint 250, Probe 1 alarm at 100 degrees.
Put tri tips on right side of upper rack, with probe in the thickest part of the smaller one.
When alarm went off, I changed the SetPoint to HIGH, pulled the probe, and put the tri-tips on foil in the warming box with the left end of the foil folded up to make a dam between the intake vents and the meat.
I put the meat on the searing grate when the TC hit 425. Two minutes per side. I lost about 50 degrees on the turn because it was something like 5 degrees outside...
I let these rest until juice filled the grill marks before slicing. Maybe 15 minutes?

I did something similar with NY strips previously and pulled them at 110. They were overcooked after waiting in the warming box, so I pulled these at 100 and the picture tells the tale. I like my TT and steaks a little bloody...

Sorry, dinner was night before last in this case. :-(

Paul

scooter

I agree with Tent!!!! Keep the pics coming!

Nailed that TT by the way! What seasoning did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sptucker

Nailed that TT by the way! What seasoning did you use?

I used a Santa Maria rub, which is:
2tsp fresh ground black pepper
2tsp course kosher or sea salt
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp dried crushed rosemary
1tsp dried oregano

I use this on other stuff, too, from time to time. It's one of my personal favorites. Really great on prime rib...

Enjoy,
Paul

So Cal Smoker

Hi Paul, thanks for sharing your TT cooking method, I'm sure it will be put to good use. I too use the Santa Maria Style Seasoning on my TTs, burgers, chops, even very lightly on fish. Love the stuff. Thanks again for sharing.

Bill

onionhead

Paul, It looks like you and I are on the same path. Our family raises Natural Beef here in NE Colorado, and have done for several decades. I had not heard of tri-tip until I traveled in the Central Valley of California. I think TT with a reverse sear @138* is just right for our family. I love to eat a steak from our own beef, but the TT is a close second! I use the Montreal steak seasoning, worchestershire sauce, EVOO & mustard. What a find! Also, I was smoking some pork tenderloin the other day and by the time I finished it was -5*. The MAK 2, with a Traeger blanket, didn't even budge off setpoint. However, the LED on the Pellet Boss was hard to read. Oh well.

sptucker

Onion, I gotta try the blanket trick. I have seen my MAK 2 struggle to keep up a bit when it was below 0. Gotta add a little to the SETPOINT. The LCD gets really slow, in addition to being hard to read, but once I get Wifi enabled I don't have to worry about it... :)

Ditto on the Montreal steak seasoning, another favorite at my house.

Send me the info on your Natural Beef, I may have to try some!

Paul

TentHunter

Onion, I gotta try the blanket trick.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let a blanket cover ANY of the vents (not even a little bit) on the MAK or any pellet grill. Restricting airflow can cause a dirty burn in the firepot, resulting in black sooty smoke and that can ruin a cook in a heartbeat.

onionhead

Whatever you do, DO NOT let a blanket cover ANY of the vents (not even a little bit) on the MAK or any pellet grill.
Thanks for the caution on this. Last year, I tried it a few times with no problems, and then I talked with the guys at MAK. Bruce thought I should be OK. I have not had anything close to sooty smoke.

Top Bottom