new to this.. which grill to buy? Fast Eddy pg500, MAK 1 Star, or Yoder ys640

TentHunter

First, welcome to the forum!

Any of those three will grill steaks.

What I don't care for with the PG500b is the zone design. One smaller zone is dedicated to grilling, another for smoking, etc. The design just isn't conducive to filling it up with pork butts if I wanted to do that for a larger cook.

The Yoder is a heavy duty, built-like-a-tank cooker with plenty of room. BUT there's a trade-off for the extra room and uber thick metal. It takes longer to warm up and uses more pellets. Their controller is hit or miss with people; some folks love it and some don't. We have some members here who love their Yoders.

The most versatile cooker is going to be the MAK 1 Star. They are known for putting out more smoke. Their PelletBoss controller is considered the best on the market, and the available options are incredible. The metals used are high grade (aluminized steel for the body and 304 grade stainless for all critical components). Their customer service simply cannot be beat.

Searing on the 1 Star is even better if you add either GrillGrates, the FlameZone and a MAK searing Grate, or if you like an overall sear (like you'd get in a cast iron skillet), then the MAK griddle is fabulous and very underrated.

Don't be deceived by its small footprint either. With the upper rack, it holds plenty of food. I have no problem cooking eight pork butts or 80 pieces of chicken.

The trade-off? Without a doubt you are going to spend a few more $$$ on the MAK. Is it worth the price difference? As a happy MAK 1 Star owner I will tell you yes every time. The difference is worth every single penny.

When comparing prices, keep in mind that standard shipping is already included with the MAK. That alone is worth at least $100.

Last edited:

Swaggerjacker

First, welcome to the forum!

Any of those three will grill steaks.

What I don't care for with the PG500b is the zone design. One smaller zone is dedicated to grilling, another for smoking, etc. The design just isn't conducive to filling it up with pork butts if I wanted to do that for a larger cook.

The Yoder is a heavy duty, built-like-a-tank cooker with plenty of room. BUT there's a trade-off for the extra room and uber thick metal. It takes longer to warm up and uses more pellets. Their controller is hit or miss with people; some folks love it and some don't. We have some members here who love their Yoders.

The most versatile cooker is going to be the MAK 1 Star. They are known for putting out more smoke. Their PelletBoss controller is considered the best on the market, and the available options are incredible. The metals used are high grade (aluminized steel for the body and 304 grade stainless for all critical components). Their customer service simply cannot be beat.

Searing on the 1 Star is even better if you add either GrillGrates, the FlameZone and a MAK searing Grate, or if you like an overall sear (like you'd get in a cast iron skillet), then the MAK griddle is fabulous and very underrated.

Don't be deceived by its small footprint either. With the upper rack, it holds plenty of food. I have no problem cooking eight pork butts or 80 pieces of chicken.

The trade-off? Without a doubt you are going to spend a few more $$$ on the MAK. Is it worth the price difference? As a happy MAK 1 Star owner I will tell you yes every time. The difference is worth every single penny.

When comparing prices, keep in mind that standard shipping is already included with the MAK. That alone is worth at least $100.
I hear the Maks are amazing, and I believe it. But if you think the shipping price gets eaten by the company, think again. No company is going to eat 100.00. The shipping cost is priced in.

Having said that, purely based on what I've read, I do believe the smoker is worth every penny.

Steve

TentHunter

But if you think the shipping price gets eaten by the company, think again. No company is going to eat 100.00. The shipping cost is priced in.

Perhaps you misread or misunderstood what I wrote, which was, "...standard shipping is already included," which means it's built into the price.

Most grill companies are NOT including shipping in their advertised price, so it has to be added on when making a comparison.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Swagger....If I price it and pay for the shipping and the next dealer prices it the same and charges for the freight then you are getting a better deal from me.

tai game

JessieBPS

Something else to keep in mind: BPS also offers layaway on all Grills & Smokers (no extra fees for signup, up to 6 monthly installments). You can read more about it here.

We have had a handful of customers take advantage of it so far!

We also pay for the free standard delivery - but we always suggest opting in for the $75 lift gate service, it's worth it (unless you have a forklift to get it off of the freight truck).

Top Bottom