Brisket Mopping

Roguejim

I've noticed when watching BBQ joints on TV (like Kreutz Market in Texas, for example), they never show the pitmaster mopping his brisket. Do most of these commercial joints not bother with mopping their briskets? The reason I ask is because I've used a couple mops from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue, and they seem to really impart there own flavor(Worcestershire mainly) to the meat. Tasty for sure, but perhaps a little too much of a good thing. Any negatives to not mopping? Thanks.

TentHunter

Maybe others have had different results, but the constant temp swing from opening the pit to mop, loosing heat and the resulting added cook time is why I stopped mopping.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont mop anymore...I had this crazy idea to put a sprayer in the pit on a time release basis...someone beat me to it.
But since I foil to color quite a bit I let the small amount of liquid in the foil do my mopping. I want the time in the pit 'naked' to be when I get my bark.

HoDeDo

The pit builds up it own "atmosphere" -- temp, smoke, steam, drippings hitting things (other meat or hot cooker parts).... and all of those hope to create a moist, tender product from your cooker. I try to live by one of the first rules I learned: If you're lookin, ya ain't cookin.
In teaching my girls to do some grilling or basic indirect cooking, I reiterated that rule to myself, by helping them through some of their mistakes... constantly wanting the lid open, really changed what their end product was... now they are comfortable leaving the lid closed for a few minutes, even when it is something that will be sensitive, like a chicken wing. There are also times when you want no lid at all - like charbroiling a steak; you want a very hot, very open fire, to really develop the flavors on the outside of that cut. (of course a steak is good, smoked than seared also)
For my brisket, once it is in the cooker, that door does not open for at least 6 hrs. If I put a probe in my brisket, I wouldnt open the door until I wanted to wrap, but I wrap based on color, more than temp, so no probe required; just a gorgeous mahogany color. And BP nailed it, braise with the liquid in the foil, it will do more than enough "mopping" in the last few hours of your cook.

TentHunter

...I try to live by one of the first rules I learned: If you're lookin, ya ain't cookin.

He he... What I didn't mention in the above post was that was a lesson I had to learn the hard way; by attending the BBQ'rs school of hard knocks for hard heads!

It use to be I couldn't stand not seeing the cook progress and thought I had to mop to keep the meat moist. All that did was keep me frustrated and tied to the pit all day long.

HoDeDo

I used to probe things, just to see rack variance for cooktimes, etc... but then you have to keep all the probes, the bases, batteries, etc... and it is one more thing to break/kink/bend, shut in a door, etc. Then when you have one go on the fritz, and it steers you wrong... I'm much happier to go with just color and feel.

If there is something I do want to know a temp on, the good old thermapen does the trick. For example, on a prime rib roast. I am not good at temping one of those solely on touch, but I can usually get within a degree or two on a brisket.

Yep, tent, you are right - it is tough to not want to see the cooking progress :) but your patience is rewarded!

Big Poppa

Administrator
ask Brad from big poppa Smokers...Our brisket in Costa Mesa when we were beginning took 18 hours...he kept opening the cooker...I kept yelling at him to let the thing cook we laugh about it all the time now!

txpgapro

I've been to Kreitz and Smittys and don't recall them mopping either. I never mop. Let the rub and smoke do their magic. I'll add a little liquid when and if I foil. I don't always foil either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom