Birthday Chuckie Burnt Ends!

TentHunter

I have the best butcher in the world: Sherman Provision! Mike and his wife run a great local business and really care about their customers!

Last Saturday was my birthday, and I'd been wanting some Burnt Ends. It was a busy day, but after grabbing a late lunch with my son, we did manage to swing by the butcher. I didn't want a whole brisket so I was after a Chuck Roast.

After talking with Mike and the guys for a few minutes, the topic turned to my birthday and what I was planning to cook. They were getting ready to close for the weekend, so they were low on a few items. In the meat case sat a nice smallish chuck roast (just under 2 lbs). I said I'd take it, and while I picked out some other items we needed, the young fella helping me disappeared to the back. He returned a minute later with instructions to bag up the chuck roast and slap this sticker on it:
BDCHUCK1.JPG

I finally got a chance to cook it up this past weekend. 8)

I slapped some rub on it and threw it on the MAK to smoke for a bit then bumped it up to around 275° for a couple hours.
BDCHUCK2.JPG

Next, it was wrapped in foil with just a little beer for a braising liquid, then back on the grill at 325° for another hour and a half.
BDCHUCK3.JPG

When it's tender, but not falling apart, cut it into cubes...
BDCHUCK4.JPG

Toss the cubes in some more rub to re-coat. My homemade rub has a good mount of brown sugar and paprika which helps them caramelize and bark up nicely. If your favorite rub doesn't have a lot of sugar, just mix some of it with some brown sugar.
BDCHUCK5.JPG

Spread them out in a foil pan so the surfaces are exposed and put them back in a hot grill (350° - 375° works well) to start caramelizing a bit. Turn them over at least once while they cook about 15 - 20 minutes. After they start to caramelize add just enough BBQ sauce to coat them and them them cook another 5 - 10 minutes until nicely caramelized. The grill is hot, so check them often.
BDCHUCK6.JPG

YUM!!!
BDCHUCK7.JPG

Serve as is with toothpicks, or...

If you like pulled beef sammies, then you will LOVE a burnt end sammie! We also made up some Mock Potato Salad (Cauliflower) and some steamed buttered asparagus.
BDCHUCK8.JPG

Another craving satisfied. Thanks for looking, and thanks Mike for the Chuckie!

Last edited:

sptucker

Nice work, Cliff!

Care to share the mock potato salad recipe? I'm always looking for something healthier to counteract my previous years of unfettered indulgence... :)

TentHunter

Nice work, Cliff!

Care to share the mock potato salad recipe? I'm always looking for something healthier to counteract my previous years of unfettered indulgence... :)

Paul,

For this one, I'd seen a good recipe on Cook's Country (America's Test Kitchen) for Amish Potato Salad. We just substituted steamed cauliflower instead of the potatoes. We also added some crumbled bacon.

The recipe is copyrighted so I don't want to post it here, but here's a link I found that has the recipe:
Amish Potato Salad From Cooks Country Americas Test Kitchen) Recipe - Food.com

Or... If you already have a favorite potato salad recipe, just use that and substitute steamed cauliflower for the potatoes. It's a really nice change.

Cliff

Top Bottom