Tri Tip

CarterQ

I know another tri tip thread, but for me they never get old:D Had some friends over for dinner who are visiting from Iowa and they wanted tri tip so here we go:

Found a nice small one and hit it with Pete's Firehouse Santa Maria Rub

6ffe24f1.jpg

b28791e3.jpg

Onto the MAK to smoke on oak until an IT of 100 (about an hour)

b50f5339.jpg

Cranked the MAK up to high and finished off with a nice sear on the sear grate and pulled at an IT of 135. Tossed some artichokes on the grate to grill.

b066af6e.jpg

3ced38c7.jpg

Sliced it up
4745ff7e.jpg

Ready to go
11c3f659.jpg

This came out good, cooked it a longer than normal, but I know my guests so it was perfect. The Pete's rub was great, nice interpretation of a santa maria style rub and I will definitely be using it often.

DolphinLvr

Nice Carter!

I love Tri Tip and have done them for years. The one thing I need to start learning is the IT as I have always just gone by slicing down the middle to see where I was at......LOL

At an IT of 135, would you say yours was on the Medium Rare side?

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK here is where Scooter and I will disagree....Playfully

I pull mine now at 140...but that is with a "bumper to Bumper" style cook What I mean by Bumper to Bumper is trying to get it the same internal color from about an 1/8th inch to the center..this means low and slow...maybe not an hour at smoke but that works great too.
I also find that Tri tip is better cooked a little longer so I pull mine at 140.

The most important thing is to rest the meat for a very minimum 10 minutes I prefer 20..you can very loosley tent if you wnat but you dont have to. I find that resting meat is such an overlooked key. Try it sometime....cook two things the same cut and size....slice into the one hot off the smoker....when you are done then slice into the rested one...night and day.

CarterQ

Yeah at 135 you are right in medium rare, not sure what the final temp on this was after resting but my guess it was closer to 140. Coming off a hot sear, temp will continue to rise while resting.

I like the long smoke time to impart some of that oak wood flavor, and the sear is to get a nice crust. Haven't tried a full low and slow cook yet on tri tip. This one was pretty close to even color edge to edge.

BP is right you MUST rest a tri tip, you can see how much juice came out after a 15 minute rest on this one. Tri tips cut right off the grill will gush juice and just be dry, ruining a perfectly cooked piece of meat.

Last edited:

DolphinLvr

Great Info and rest assured I will be doing a Tri-Tip once the MAK arrives! My Wifes family does a July Birthday party and for the last 3 years, I have done Tri-Tip.....I am sooo looking forward to getting this Gril :D

Top Bottom