Dry Rubs?

Jhagedon

I'm a total newbie to pellet cooking, but I know better than to ask a question like "what is the best rub? So, I'll just ask for some thoughts. I tend to like my food with a little more "heat." My wife is my polar opposite in this area.

So, guess what type of rubs I will be using. :)

But there will be times when I"ll hopefully be cooking for friends, and more for my tastes as well.

Of course, I assume the type of meat I'll be cooking will affect the rub, or whether I'll be using a rub at all, so I'll be interested in hearing any and all thoughts. I did a search on this topic and, suprising to me, only got one hit.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think that the best part of your new hobby is the discovery....I dont mean this as a commercial plug but there isnt a rub I sell that isnt pretty cool.

What I did was buy Paul Kirks book and the legends of texas bbq and Peace love and bbq and made their rubs....It was fun discovering myself what different spices did to the ending flavor profile.

With rubs tasting it on its own is nice but you really judge it on how it works with the cut of meat

TentHunter

...With rubs tasting it on its own is nice but you really judge it on how it works with the cut of meat

That's a whole lot of wisdom! The best thing to do it experiment, experiment, experiment... to see what you like on which cuts of meat.

I get to try the Smoking Guns 'Gun Powder' rub very soon (order shipped from BPS yesterday). Can't wait to try it!

Its a never-ending journey experimenting with rub flavors, but oh my, what a sweet journey it is :)!

Bear

Sometimes the amount that you use can have a make a big difference in the final outcome. This is especially true when you are talking heat. I have found some rubs that are good when used in small amounts, that I just don't like if I get too much. I don't make my own. There are too many already out there for me to try to top.

It's also interesting how certain rubs seem to go with certain cuts of meat.

What I like, may not be what you like, so get an assortment, and play with it. Take good notes, and in about 10 or so years, you may have it narrowed down to the few that you like best.

scooter

There's no rule that says you have to use one rub on a rack of ribs. Many, many times I'm testing out 2 rubs on one rack. Sometimes 3. What I'll usually do is to tie butchers twine around the centerline width of the rack which serves as the dividing line between the two rubs on the same rack. When I apply the the rub I'll cover with my free hand the side just to the opposite side of the twine so I don't get one rub on the other rubs side. It works quite well and will allow you and the Mrs to have the rub (and sauce, or no sauce at all) that you each like on your ribs.

BTW: one of the best all around rubs I've ever tried, and still actively use, is TX BBQ rub.

jimsbarbecue

I assume you will try the Smokin Guns which is good and brings heat but not over the top. Make sure to get Gun Powder. Three eyz rub is one I use and is one fellow cooks have ask what is it and to get them some when I order. Cowtown are my present favorites. TheTX BBQ Rub scooter mention I do keep on hand.

Bear

3 eyz is my current favorite for ribs. I think I could eat that stuff with a spoon!

Plowboys yardbird or Hasty bake Greek for poultry, depending on my mood.

Roguejim

Let the newbie talk, i.e., ME! With all the great BBQ books out there, I cannot understand why you would BUY someone elses rub. Isn't RUB formulation part of the experience? And frankly, after watching many shows featuring BBQ cooks and joints, they all seem to be using the same stuff anyway, in different amounts. It's not like the ingredients are proprietary. Having said that, I would be willing to buy a pork butt rub just to see what all the buzz is. I like a medium spicy/heat rub with good sweetness for my pork, so that's how I make mine. What are some favorite butt rubs that match my taste preference? I'll try it!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Newbie Great post...Johnny Trigg doesnt make his own rub or sauce....most of the competitors use others rubs and combinations of others.
Some use lets say Plowboys and add a few ingredients to make it thier own. The beauty is to not look at why someone chooses to do it differently than you but to appreciate that there are so many different ways of not just cooking but expressing your self through your food.

I wouldnt use others rubs until I made several batches of my own. I refused to use gurus or stokers for pit control on my charcoal pits until I could manage the pit the old fashioned way...At comps I use stokers and gurus...at home I like hanging by the pits staring at the temp gauge!

There is another thing to consider. Some of the best rural BBQ joints in the country use no rubs whatsoever.....Robin here just ate at one in Georgia ...He asked the pitmaster what rubs he used...."Hickory Smoke" NO salt, no pepper. Then there is the good ole salt and black pepper and calling it good.

Ill start a thread and see if Andy can give us a back story on rubs.

TentHunter

This has turned out to be another great thread!

I cannot understand why you would BUY someone elses rub. Isn't RUB formulation part of the experience? And frankly, ...they all seem to be using the same stuff anyway, in different amounts.

What's more important to you; cost, convenience, ingredients, allergies, sodium levels, etc.

If you're just starting out making your own rubs here's a couple things to keep in mind: Obviously you'll need to become familiar with the different spices/herbs/seasonings Which flavors compliment which meats, etc. And not just in their raw forms; heat will cause oils to be released and change/intesify flavors. Heat & moisture affect the ingredients in other ways too (example sugar will melt, seal, and caramelize, paprika can turn very dark or black).

Keep a "Rub Log" that tracks: Exactly how much ingredients are used, which cuts of meat it worked on, what you liked/disliked, what changes were made for a different cut of meat, what did you use for glue, etc.

For me, its been a great journey and one I highly recommend you take.

BUT... Don't discount trying pre-made rubs. A lot of them are award winning recipes. You might find a something you like or get some good ideas.

KimG SOW

Like everyone is telling you, you need to try, try, try. Whether making your own rubs or buying commercial rubs, you need to try them to find what YOU like. Over the years I can't tell you how many rubs/spices we have gone through. In our early years, what we liked best was made by one of our local grocery stores, which we still recommend to people starting out.

We have pasted the time of making our own rubs. We really don't have the time or the space to do this anymore. Our spice cabinet is already so full, I don't WANT all the extra spices in there. LOL!

We have found some really great rubs that we like for both competitions and home. And of course we are always trying new ones.

DolphinLvr

Tent is right! this is another awesome thread! I for one wouldnt mind making my own rub, but in order to do that, I feel that I need to get comfortable in what i am doing with my new grill. This is going to be a whole new world for me and there is a ton of information for me to learn.

HoDeDo

I think that the best part of your new hobby is the discovery.... With rubs tasting it on its own is nice but you really judge it on how it works with the cut of meat
Lots of discovery! And this last note is key... a rub can seem very hot, or acidic, or salty, etc out of the jar, but usually is very different cooked on the meat. Esp. larger cuts. Butts and Brisket can both take on alot of very bold flavors, and not be overwhelming after the cook... so dont be afraid to try something that may seem too "hot" or too "spicy" or too"salty"... you might be surprised of the outcome.

I cannot understand why you would BUY someone elses rub. Isn't RUB formulation part of the experience?

The fomulation is alot of fun... but as to why you would buy; several good reasons:
1. consistency: Let's say you use lemon pepper in a rub you make. If that lemon pepper changes, or you buy a differnt brand, your rub will be different.
Age and strength of powders you may use. A good commercially produced rub, will not have those issues that you might, making at home....

2. Freshness of spices - Todd can really talk to this, as there were some amazing revalations made as he went to production with a co-packer... So I wont steal his thunder here. But from a user perspective, the freshness of the spices that the packer has access to, compared to what we get at the store, is a fairly wide gap.

There is another thing to consider. Some of the best rural BBQ joints in the country use no rubs whatsoever.....Robin here just ate at one in Georgia ...He asked the pitmaster what rubs he used...."Hickory Smoke" NO salt, no pepper. Then there is the good ole salt and black pepper and calling it good. Ill start a thread and see if Andy can give us a back story on rubs.

I will hit that other thread shortly. I did a whole series on different rubs, and had a "rub of the week" on the Getyourgrillon.net blog 5 or 6 years ago - so I may dig some of that up. Headin out the door, so stay tuned! :)

sparky

we had a taste taste with the family using bbq rub, ezy, hasty bake and plowboys. the ezy and hasty bake rub ribs easily one (all were wrapped w/ honey, butter & brown sugar). on pork butts i like honey rub and plowboys (thanks bp). brisket, don't know yet. chicken, hasty bake greek. damn, i am hungry.

Top Bottom