First Ever Shoulder Smoke. Done on Mak-1 Star

PappyFatcap

Did my first smoke cook ever of a shoulder on my new Mak 1-Star this weekend.

I started with a 7 pound bone-in shoulder, dry brined and then rubbed with meathead's memphis Dust. I had a hodgepodge mix of hickory, mesquite, and Mak's Hazelnut blend pellets in my hopper. Placed the shoulder on the top rack with a drip pan underneath and a mini meatloaf pan with water in it for moisture. Started the cook at 9:30 pm Saturday night. I set the Pellet Boss to Smoke Mode, 170 degrees for two hours, then up the temp to 225 degrees for the duration of the cook until the internal probe reached 195.

I checked the smoker a couple times until about midnight just to make sure I programmed the Pellet Boss correctly. Everything was working perfectly. What an easy system to use!

Went to bed, woke up at 5:45 am. Checked in on the Mak, and I had started in on the dreaded stall, stuck at 155 degrees. Thanks to my education here at Amazing Ribs, I was prepared for it (although it still freaked me out after a while). Did not wrap as I did not want to complicate things on my very first cook. I remained at 155 for the next six hours. Then in the next couple hours I was able to only creep up to 164 degrees. I was at the 15 hour mark by this point so I decided to up the temp to 260 to see if I could get things moving a little quicker.

By the 20.5 hour mark I was up to 185 degrees and couldn't get it to budge any further. I decided to take the shoulder off, wrapped it and let it rest for about an hour. When it came time to pull, it pulled rather easy, but it was more of a chunky pull than a shredded pull. Truth be told I enjoy a chunkier pulled pork anyway. Made some simple sandwiches with some Lilly's Carolina Gold sauce.Taste was fantastic, bark was INCREDIBLE, and I'm getting rave reviews from the co-workers I brought some 'doggy bags' to this morning for a tasting.

A couple questions I have for the more experienced cookers here, and I'm hoping to learn a few things to get better. Is this just a case of me having purchased an extremely stubborn shoulder that refused to hit 195/200 degrees even after 20 hours of smoking? Or did I make an error in putting the meat on the top rack? Did I crowd the bottom by putting both a drip pan and water tray, could that have had an effect on my heat circulating properly? I'd like to get a few more cooks in and get a better idea of timing before I try this with company over. Any advice from you ladies and gents would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, enough blithering, blathering, and babbling from me. Here are some pictures.

IMAG1028_zpsnxif1wzk.jpg

IMAG1029_zpswh0r1u6h.jpg

IMAG1030_zpsizvtqxwu.jpg

IMAG1031_zpsvveslvai.jpg

IMAG1033_zpscbjbnzrf.jpg

IMAG1035_zpscrydlfvn.jpg

SmokingDents

Fantastic job, it looks like it turned out great! I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Mak 2 this week. I'm also new to the smoking foods. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Have a great day, SD.

onionhead

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Mak 2 this week. I'm also new to the smoking foods.

SmokingDents, & Pappy, welcome to the MAK family. Great grills! There are a lot of great people on this site - don't be afraid to ask a question. The good people will be glad to answer, and I get to read the answers. Take care.

mcschlotz

The result looks great!. As far as the time goes you would have to change something, either wrap it which is what we normally do in order to ensure dinner time isn't delayed too much or possibly do some programming. i.e. at 155 bump temp to 250-275 when temp get to 185 bump temp back down to 225. Not certain on the temp bumping, haven't tried it. However, we have smoked the butt for 5 hours, then wrapped, placed in an aluminum pan and put in the oven at 300 until it reached approx 200. Used a wired thermometer to monitor the progress. The down side to the wrap is the bark never gets crisp.

Matt

Last edited:

PappyFatcap

Thanks everyone. Going to have at another 2 shoulders this weekend. My friend and co-worker is asking me to do one for him. I must have done something right on the first cook.

jimsbarbecue

the more you cook the more information you will have how it works for you. Do use the Pellet Boss it is a awesome tool to have.

Top Bottom